New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Powder type chart
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a book on powders by the Handloader magazine people, that I didn't learn anything from, but real guns liked it:

Joe at real guns review of "Propellant Profiles"

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
oops...

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The list you have in mind is an interesting idea, maxman, but I think this does not exist.

Here is a link to a list of lists which may be interesting to compare, but they'll not contain the additional information.

http://wildcatshooting.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=34#34

If you have access to Ken Water's "Pet Loads", you'll probably find the additional information you are looking for.

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
You may also wish to look here.

http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The game for max power below max pressure seems to be to get the slowest powder that will fit.

Powders change quickness with peak pressure.

AA#5 gets peaky, while Power Pistol and 800X do not speed up as much with the super high pressures.

Not only are the speed varying and varying with pressure, the densities are different.

And the densities vary with compression.

H110/W296 does not compress much [high bulk modulus], but 800X compresses allot.

The Hodgdon chart I have on my wall with my powders circled in red

--

A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips and links. It looks like I will have to do some research and put together my own chart of essential powder characteristics. I'll be sure to post it when it's done. I'll bet I'm not the only one who wants one concise list like this. Metering ability, bulk, and burn rate are all factors to consider. maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote