Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Record Form
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi!
Tired of keeping my reloading records on post-it notes stuck all over the side of my reloading room wall, I finally made up an Excel spreadsheet yesterday to print out as a reloading record form. I'm going to print one, photocopy a bunch, and keep them on a clipboard or in a binder (haven't decided yet...).

These are the form "fields" to fill in:

Lot #, Date, Cartridge Type, # Of Cartridges Loaded, Case, Case Trim Length, Case Prep Notes, Primer, Priming Notes, Powder, Powder Weight, Powder Notes, Bullet and Weight, Cartridge Overall Length, Comparator Length, Bullet and Runout Notes, Primer Color Code(s), Box Label(s), Gun Used for Testing, Chronograph Notes, Accuracy Notes, Miscellaneous Notes

Just an explanation on one of the fields above... the "Primer Color Code(s)". I use a "rainbow pack" of sharpie permanent markers to color the primers of my loads (after I finish loading them) so if they get mixed up/dropped/etc. I can easily re-sort them. This "code" goes away during de-priming, so it works out great...

Are there any other fields that you would want on a reloading record? Have I missed anything?

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gaillo:
Hi!
Tired of keeping my reloading records on post-it notes stuck all over the side of my reloading room wall, I finally made up an Excel spreadsheet yesterday to print out as a reloading record form. I'm going to print one, photocopy a bunch, and keep them on a clipboard or in a binder (haven't decided yet...).

These are the form "fields" to fill in:

Lot #, Date, Cartridge Type, # Of Cartridges Loaded, Case, Case Trim Length, Case Prep Notes, Primer, Priming Notes, Powder, Powder Weight, Powder Notes, Bullet and Weight, Cartridge Overall Length, Comparator Length, Bullet and Runout Notes, Primer Color Code(s), Box Label(s), Gun Used for Testing, Chronograph Notes, Accuracy Notes, Miscellaneous Notes

Just an explanation on one of the fields above... the "Primer Color Code(s)". I use a "rainbow pack" of sharpie permanent markers to color the primers of my loads (after I finish loading them) so if they get mixed up/dropped/etc. I can easily re-sort them. This "code" goes away during de-priming, so it works out great...

Are there any other fields that you would want on a reloading record? Have I missed anything?

I keep reloading records in a database and use many of the same fields as you do. I would say play with for a while and you’ll find out what’s truly important to you and what isn’t. If you want to add fields later, then add them.

I’m glad you decided to get organized, post-its on the wall is “not goodâ€.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Your data fields are better than mine. Thanks for the primer color code idea. Beats the hell out of pulling bullets! I add close up digital photo's to mine - loaded round, fired primer, recoverd bullet, actual target, scope setting - anything.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pshooter
posted Hide Post
WOW! You guys track allot more data than I do. I'm basically concerned with load testing. I developed this sheet to track my testing.

http://home.comcast.net/~oldpeashooter/reloaddata.pdf

I have to admit though, once a load is established and it's time to load up some stock your sheets offer allot more info, especially if it's gonna be stored for awhile.

I can't decide if I shoot to load, or load to shoot! The line between the two is very thin!

Posts: 48 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I buy a note book for each rifle.
I put the basic information about the rifle and scope , any custom work and serial # on the 1st page.
In the back, I put a list of COAL, as measured buy my hornady gage.
Then the data for each load is listed on a page, and I take the book with me when I go shoot.
I put any info from that shoot write on the page with the data.
When I sell a rifle I somtimes give the book to the buyer, I have had a few call me and thank me.
I only do this if I am confident the guy knows what he is doing, for fear of a law suit.
But I sure have lots of info stored in those little note books...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't decide if I shoot to load, or load to shoot! The line between the two is very thin!

A bit like the chicken and the egg! Smiler A bit of both I suppose. I must admit, I don't quite know what I would do if I were to find that magical one hole group load. Like the dog that chases the bus ..... Big Grin

Thomas Jones, I wish I could be as methodical as you. I always think I will write it down as soon as have done this or that and then iether forget to, or forget what I did! I am getting better at it 'though.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also found what reloading data sheets that were available for sale lacking and unaccepatable, so I made my own on my computer. They contain the fallowing info in order:

<>Caliber
<>No# of rounds loaded
<>Date loaded
<>Date shot
<>Rifle
<>Powder/type/charge weight/lot#
<>Primer/type/lot#
<>Bullet/type/weight/lot#
<>Brass type/#Xs shot/#Xs loaded/#Xs trimmed
NK/sized or FL/sized
<>All brass preperation steps
<>Dies used
<>Cartrage LOA
<>Aprox Velocity
<>All range conditions
<>Bench shooting form used
<>Rest type used
<>Any special notes or observations
<>Load performance evaluation

I also lable every target to corrispond to the load shot at it as well as each individual bullet hole as well.

I have found you can not keep to exact of shooting records, and it is a must to record all data asap after you shoot that load.