Find
Notify
Tools

brass wont chamber back in rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
I just bought a new rifle its a ruger M77 in 30/06 i fired 3 boxes of factory loads hornady light mag, federal high energy, and a box of winchester super -x. Why wont the fired brass fit back into my chamber Someone told me they had the same thing with there M77 in 338 In order to reload i will have to full lenght size.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you might have a out of round chamber. Try marking a round and rechambering it in the same position after fireing. If it goes back in, I`d have it lookd it by a smith and sent back to Ruger if that`s the problem.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that your rifle has an imperfect chamber; maybe an excess of headspace, so, when you shoot, the brass stretches excessively. A correctly chambered rifle should easily chamber a fired brass. - Lorenzo

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just went through the same thing with a fresh rechamber job and am having it re-done. With yours being a new rifle I would definitely send it back for a new barrel.
Good luck
FRank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger is noted for poor bores and it is likely your chamber is faulty in head space and out of round. Once fired brass should chamber with ease in the same rifle it was originally fired in with out FL resizing.

You could return the rifle to Ruger for a barrel replacement, but it is a good chance you will end up with another poor barrel just like the one now on the rifle. If they can't put a good barrel on the first time what leads you to beleive they will do it a second time. I have owned two Ruger rifles and both were not kept very long for a number of reasons. The two I once owned were very poor grouping rifles with lousy triggers that no amount of tuning would fix. Rather than put more money into the rifles, I opted to give them new homes and glad I did so.

Some factory rifle makers produce less than perfect products. As long as the rifle goes off and the bullet exits the barrel, it is considered well with in their specs for that hunting rifle, just ask Remington on their hot line.

Posts: 64 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I really don't know where the hell you guys get your information about Ruger firearms having poor barrels!

I have over 45 of them, and every one under .308 caliber will shoot 5-shot, 200-yard groups of less than 1 inch (some as small as 0.25 inch), and those over .308 will do less than 1.5 inch!

Granted, the trigger on the MK II rifles suck, and the conversion on their single action revolvers sucks, but you have to blame user stupidity and lwayers for that ... NOT RUGER!

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before we all jump to conclusions on your chamber, are you trying to get fired brass back in by trying to make the rifle feed it? Very rare to find a rifle that will feed empties, put one under the extractor with the bolt removed and then insert the whole unit and see if it fits that way before you go sending the rifle off for repair.

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I really don't know where the hell you guys get your information about Ruger firearms having poor barrels! I have over 45 of them, and every one under .308 caliber will shoot 5-shot, 200-yard groups of less than 1 inch (some as small as 0.25 inch), and those over .308 will do less than 1.5 inch!

Boy I sure have to agree with Ricciardelli on this one! I have not owned near as many Rugers as he has, but all of them (6 No. 1's, a No. 3, an M77, and a Mini-30) have been MOA or better shooters right out of the box except the Mini-30. The Mini's all seem to have accuracy problems stemming from the way their actions vibrate when fired, not from bad barrels.

I also agree with Kevin's suggestion re: testing to see if the case will re-enter the chamber when already inserted flush against the bolt face to begin with.

posted Hide Post
Tanoose:

You didn't say what you did to the brass before determining it won't fit. More information, please.

Posts: 19 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
The rifle went back to Ruger today, i did a close inspection of the brass the brass was scratched coming out and when i tried to put the fired cartridge back into the chamber i couldn't close the bolt . The marks on the brass showed a scratch on the very top so i droped the floor plate and checked the chamber with a flashlight, where a found a a mare in the chamber. So off it went , i guess its easy for them to just change the barrel and i hope its as accurate as this one was. I guess i have been pretty lucky inthe past as this is the only problem i have ever had with a new rifle,and thats over 30 years. Thanks for your all your help. Later Tanoose

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote