New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Dot hangs in Uniflow?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My uniflow came with two tranparent green nozzles, and with the small nozzle, Blue Dot, and a .223 case mouth, I get powder hang ups.

About 10% of the time, I can see some extra Blue Dot that is still hanging up in the nozzle, maybe 50% of a 15 gr charge. If I tap the nozzle with my finger nail, the extra powder drops into the case.

What to do about this?

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My advice would be to weigh every load . Blue Dot or similar flake powders do not run thru conventional powder measures well , in my experience .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take both adapters in the kitchen and coat the inside of them with Liquid Dish Soap - no water. Then set them aside to completely dry.

As long as there is no "small ledge" inside the adapters for the powder to hang on, that should fix it.

Make sure when you put them into the Powder Measure that you screw them in all the way.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
cheerstap-tap-tap. That's a habit I got into during the year of the blue snow. If you go with the dish soap make sure it's Joy. If neither works set your dispenser up on a vibrtory plateform or some such thing. Is this a test? monaroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put the nozzle in the lathe and cleaned it with Flitz on a Q-tips. I then cleaned some more with Alchol on Q-tips, and then dried it out. Then I coated with Joy on Q-tips and let dry over night.

It is cleaner, and easier to see through.
It still hangs up as often, but the amount from each hang up is now very small.

It did not cure the disease, but it treated it.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you wipe down the inside of the powder chamber, the nozzle (actually a drop tube)and funnel if you use one with a 'dryer sheet' powder will not hang up anywhere.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had that problem with my OHAUS Model 7200 DU-O Powder Measure with a single drum for pistol and rifle.It's no longer made but I recently located one on ebay and was the only bidder.These are finitely accurate so I mounted it on my Dillon RL550B Reloader.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The "DOT" powders are notorious for hanging up, and the Blue Dot especially, the soap treatment is not the cure, not anything else I've tried. To avoid 1/2 throws and 1 1/2 throws, you've got to scale. It's for this reason I try to avoid using them. ~Arctic~

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is an OHAUS DU-O-Measure Model 7200 with a single drum for rifle and pistol it comes with an Ohaus powder measure stand. It's listed on ebay item # 7239300441. I've been using one since the early 70's and just got another on ebay.Original price was approx $45 when all powder measures were $20+ these measures are very accurate.

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Anti-static spray will cure your problem.

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yep ........does the same thing as a dryer sheet

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Versifier
posted Hide Post
I think bartsche has the right of it. I use flake and extruded IMR powders with my Uniflow and have been for over thirty years. Tap-tap on the fill because it minimizes cutting, and tap-tap on the drop because the vibration destroys any bridging. (I'm talking about bringing the charging handle all the way up and all the way down so that the steel nut the adjustment screws through hits the metal body of the measure's frame.) Not wimpy little taps, either, but serious positive ones that send vibratory waves through the entire powder measure. (Think of it like properly operating a lever action.) With the small drop tube, I will even triple-tap on the drop in smaller cases. I have never monkeyed with the inside or coated it with anything. I figure that the graphite coating on the powder has done that already over so many years of use. I also have a light behind the drop tube so I can see the charge falling into the case. I have never had a bridging incident and have measured several hundred thousand charges through it. It is the only powder measure I have ever owned and it has never given me any trouble in all the years I have happily used it. Starting out with the proper operation technique is the answer.

..And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
-Lewis Carroll

Posts: 224 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Versifier:
I think bartsche has the right of it. I also have a light behind the drop tube so I can see the charge falling into the case.

My 50 year old Redding despenser has a built on attached finger tapper. I also have a light behind it to watch the powder fall.I didn't think I was the first or only one to use the back up light but you are the first person I've heard mention it. Works great. claproger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
...It still hangs up as often, but the amount from each hang up is now very small...
Quit spitting in the Powder.
---

Actually jimmy might actually have a good suggestion about the Static Spray. Never tried it myself as the liquid soap always worked for me. But, if the Static Spray doesn't "melt" the plastic tube, it might just fix it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend doing what I did, remove the nozzle and find something to catch the powder in then either weigh the charge or funnel the charge into the case. No hangups.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedIf you don't like Tap-Tap-Tap,tnekkcc, how about 4759? Maybe one of those electric dildoos mounted to your dispenser?( Ladies Home Companion to our more gentile members.) animalroger

One of Us
Picture of Versifier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luckyducker:
I would recommend doing what I did, remove the nozzle and find something to catch the powder in then either weigh the charge or funnel the charge into the case. No hangups.

Is this a case of you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I learned a year ago that I have been waiting much too long for the lead to harden in my boolit moulds before knocking off the sprue. Someone on the CB forum pointed it out to me and I changed the technique I have been using for thirty years because I had been doing it the wrong way. I admitted that I am not too old that I still can learn something and tripled my production rate without compromising quality.

It seems pointless and counterproductive to me to go through all that hassle and wasted time of dropping/weighing/funneling when the issue remains one of improper technique in the operation of your powder measure. If you're going to go through all that trouble, using dippers would be faster, and probably more accurate for you. One simple change in your routine would make a world of difference.

The reason they've been putting tappers on some measures for many years is because they are needed to load powders that would otherwise have a tendency to bridge, and using the charging handle for the same purpose works as well or better as more vibration can be introduced if needed by harder taps. I do like Roger's idea of the vibrator, though - it would be an amusing addition taped onto the measure, but it would take some creative explaning if my younger daughters started asking too many questions about it.

Of course, none of this is going to make it safe to use those troublesome powders in a progressive press, there's no free lunch here.

..And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
-Lewis Carroll

Posts: 224 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote