Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer removal before case cleaning
 Login/Join

posted
What is the best way (and easiest) to remove the primers in my 25.06 ammo BEFORE case cleaning process. Would appreciate any advice.

Posts: 3 | Location: California | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I use walnut media and its pretty fine. gets in the primer pocket and then you have to pick it out. I leave the primers in and tumble. make sure you get all the media out of the inside of the case. its hard on dies.
I dont tumble much any more I use a device to spin the cases and polish the out side using a 3m pad. works great.
thought I would add a picture for affect.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends on how dirty you let the brass get. As a rule I size and deprime and then tumble to remove the lube, clean the primer pockets and reload or store. I don't know if this is a "good" procedure or not but, it has worked for me for 20+ years. Oh,and once again, don't mess with that rifle!
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by critterhorse:
What is the best way (and easiest) to remove the primers in my 25.06 ammo BEFORE case cleaning process. Would appreciate any advice.

A universal decaping die.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the jigger:
It depends on how dirty you let the brass get. As a rule I size and deprime and then tumble to remove the lube, clean the primer pockets and reload or store. I don't know if this is a "good" procedure or not but, it has worked for me for 20+ years. Oh,and once again, don't mess with that rifle!

+1 I size and decap then tumble as needed to clean up the cases and get rid of the sizing lube. Before loading inspect primer pockets for fouling.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would you want to add an unnecessary step or unnecessary chemical or unnecessary die to the process? Just throw the cases in the walnut shell and scouring powder mixture straight from the range and in a couple hours you have clean cases ready to be decamped and sized in one step.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I use a universal de-capper, then walnut media, the air hose, the primer flash hole uniformer ,then mica or imperial graphite, then neck size (bushing/ collet).
Don't mind the extra step at all.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Tumble first then size/de-cap

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knock the primers out with a Lee punch and then clean the primer pockets. I rinse the cases with isopropyl alcohol and then size. I never polish if I can help it. Tumbling is only used for rehabilitating really cruddy brass.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Tumble first then size/de-cap

+1

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
For dirty cases I tumble for an extended time, size, deprime and then tumble again for about an hour to get rid of the lube, then reload.

For clean cases I size, deprime, then tumble for about an hour to get ride of the lube, then reload.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

+2

The great advantage of tumbling AFTER resizing/depriming is that you get rid of the lube. Getting the lube off of the case is ESSENTIAL. Polishing the tarnish off is only cosmetic (but doing it in this order accomplishes that, too). Sure, you'll have to punch a piece of tumbling medium out of the flash hole on about 2/3rds of the cases. So what? They need to be inspected, anyway.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:

+2

The great advantage of tumbling AFTER resizing/depriming is that you get rid of the lube. Getting the lube off of the case is ESSENTIAL. Polishing the tarnish off is only cosmetic (but doing it in this order accomplishes that, too). Sure, you'll have to punch a piece of tumbling medium out of the flash hole on about 2/3rds of the cases. So what? They need to be inspected, anyway.

Lube and carbon particles are easily rinsed off with isopropyl alcohol. It dries in front of a fan in 30 mins and then you are ready to load with out the wear of polishing. Keep your brass clean and you don't have to polish it nor obscure defects.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nevr-dull is so much quicker than tumbling. I can have 25 pieces of brass polished in about 5 minutes. Then I can run my nice clean brass through my dies without worry of crudding them up.

Matt

Posts: 99 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always deprimed and then tumbeled but I dont necessarily enjoy digging the media out of the primer pocket. But on the flip side, it does give me a chance to do a close up inspection of the cases as I'm digging in the primer pockets.

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've used both a Lee punch and a universal de-capping die, and for me, the de-capping die is faster.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For decapping, I use a Neil Jones hand held depriming tool. It's very fast.

Don