New
Find
Notify
Tools

303 projectiles
 Login/Join

posted
Hi guys,

New to the forum but have been a keen reader for ages. Have a question on loading 30 cal (.308) projectiles into 303 British cases.

I have large numbers of surplus 30 cal projectiles and was considering loading them up for my 303. I'd normally use .311 bullets but is it a complete waste of time using slightly undersize bullets? It is only for plinking and close range work (<100m) as a bush rifle so extreme accuracy is not important. I've been told accuracy will suffer but any ideas how much? A little, a lot, too much to even bother with? How much difference does 3 thou really make?

Finally, anyone think this is unsafe?

Posts: 4 | Location: Darwin, Australia | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
HUH?.....WHAT?.......Are you nuts? Why would you even consider such a stunt? What do you plan to use for sizing and seating dies? You will keyhole targets. You will wreck your bore. You will wreck your brass. Just send me your .303 and all your other guns and take up knitting or cross stitch or even gay sex. DON'T EFFIN DO IT!!!!!! Put the bullets on www.GUNBROKER.com for sale if you can't use them. Or go buy a .30-06 or a .308 and shoot them through that. Don't wreck your stuff trying to use up surplus components. It is a good thing you asked before you made a mistake. Good thinking on your part!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard of people doing this, some with a little success. Personally I've never tried it. If I had a lot of 308 surplus bullets to burn off I'd just get a cheap 308 and go to town. Or as mentioned, sell them and buy some Sierra 174 gr Mk's. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Gonna be hard to say wht the results are till you try it.
303 Brit's and 7.7 Jap's were famous for the "varying bore diameter" that was enjoyed over the years of manufacture.
I have a 7.7 Jap that shoots just fine with .308 bullets. Others will allow a .308 to freefall down the barrel.
Slug your bore if you can and see what diameter you are talking about with your rifle and then . . .
Load some up and test them.

THEN you will know what will happen!

LouisB
Just an opinion of course

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kanga,

At least get a different expander ball for .308 size, RCBS has it. If not the case neck might not hold the bullet under recoil. It is common to use .308 in .311 bores, all 7.62X39 loaded in US is .308 bullet. My RCBS 7.62X39 dies comes with two expander balls, one .311, one .308.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well I guess the proof is in the results. I tried this using Sierra 180 grain MK's on top of a mild 39.5 grains of AR2208. 303 Brit cases were full length sized but using a 308 expander ball instead of the 311 ball. Only loaded up 10 rounds to try but the first 5 shot group was 1.28" CTC and the second just under 2" at 100 yards. Nice round holes, no keyholes. This was less than half what the rifle would shoot with 174 grain Round nose .311 bullets on the same day. Quite frankly, the latter bullets were woeful.

I was very impressed to say the least. I admit the first group was probably a fluke but I'm at least prepared to try a few more to see if it will keep grouping.

Posts: 4 | Location: Darwin, Australia | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
<plpetit>
posted
I tried both .308 and .311 bullets in a Lee Enfield N�4 MK I (Savage) and never noticed a difference!

People used to say that in thoses with 2 Rifling you can use .308 bullets but not in those with 5 Rifling.

Savage made Lee Enfields have 2 rifling but Long Branch have 5 riflings as far as I know.

P.L. PETIT