Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Books to Read
 Login/Join

posted
I was talking to someone about possible getting into reloading and he mentioned that I should get a book on reloading to find out if I want to do it, all that is envolved, what kind of equipment I would need, the different kinds of gun powder, bullets, and to find out about how to handle the stuff safely. The question I have is what would be a good book to get? I live 2 hours away from the big city and where I live there is no place that carries these kind of books, so I have been looking on the internet and the only ones I can find are the bullet manufactures manuals, lees book on modern reloading second edition, and abc's of reloading 8th edition, but none of the sites show the contents, so I do not know which one would be a good one to get. What book would you recommend or is there another one I have not mentioned that would be better?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are two elementary level books that are very good and can be gotten from www.grafs.com :
The ABCs of Reloading
Lyman Reloading Handbook, 48th Ed.

There is a very advanced book by Glen Zediker, Handloading for Competition. It is available from www.sinclairintl.com .

Get the first two and absorb that info. If you choose to learn more, Zediker is an undertaking, but the reloading process will be made much more relevant for you. This one is optional.

Be sure to get both suppliers' catalogs.

Take the time to explore old posts on this and other forums. There is a heck of a lot of information and available to you. And, when there's something that you don't follow, ask questions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the best current book is metallic cartridge reloading 3rd ed. 1996 by mcphearson. you can find it on barnes and nobel web site. i have the first 2 ed. very good. also go on ebay and look for abc's of reloading by dean grennell, the first 5 ed. are the ones he wrote. have them, bought them in the 70's. there is nothing else to compare for information and reading enjoyment. grennell was the best reloading writer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I live 2 hours away from the big city and where I live there is no place that carries these kind of books, so I have been looking on the internet

It's called the big brown toy delivery truck also known as UPS. Wink Seriously, I live in between two big cities and the only stuff I buy locally is powder and primers and that's just to save the hazmat and handling fees.

The bullet manufacturers' manuals aren't bad. I recommend getting a couple. The Nosler and Hornady and Sierra ones are very good, and I also have Speer and Barnes.

The powder companies also publish information worth looking at.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I second the recommndation for the Lyman Manual - they don't make/sell bullets, powder, or primers, so their load data uses a variety of the different stuff currently on the market.

I also suggest some of the older books from a standpoint of general interest in the subject:

Phil Sharpe's COMPLETE GUIDE TO HANDLOADING; the P.O. Ackley HANDBOOK FOR SHOOTERS & RELOADERS, VI & VII; and Bob Hagel's book, GAME LOADS & PRACTICAL BALLISTICS FOR THE AMERICAN HUNTER.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote