THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Please Recommend a 1000 yard load for .300 Win Mag

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please Recommend a 1000 yard load for .300 Win Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I posted this on the "favorite load forum" but I don't think it gets much traffic.

I just got a .300 WM. It's a Winchester mod 70 with a super heavy bull barrel. I got it from an ex-long range shooter and the gun looks like it's set up for 1000 yard stuff. It has "classic sharpshooter" stamped on the barrel. Any knowledge of this rifle is also wanted.

I also picked up a .223 in a Browning A-Bolt Medallion with a BOSS system.

If you shoot the 1000 yard game can you recommend a bullet/powder combo for the .300? I already load for a .300 that I hunt with.

I've never loaded for the .223. I do load for a 22-.250 though and have some knowledge with the .22 cals. Can someone recommend a good load for prarie dogs and the like? I've read a little and have seen a lot of guys like the v-max or the Sierra 52 gr Gameking. I would like to use a ball powder as I won't be weighing each charge probably and the ball powder meters pretty accurately in my measure. I've seen data for W748 and some good comments with it but all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might check the Wimbledon Cup results for the competitors bullets. Then pick a powder that works in your rifle with that bullet.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4350 70-72 grn with a 168 BTHP .

IMR 4831 72-75 grn same bullet . 4895 also works not sure of that load though as I don't use it in

a 300 !. archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
I posted this on the "favorite load forum" but I don't think it gets much traffic.

I just got a .300 WM. It's a Winchester mod 70 with a super heavy bull barrel. I got it from an ex-long range shooter and the gun looks like it's set up for 1000 yard stuff. It has "classic sharpshooter" stamped on the barrel. Any knowledge of this rifle is also wanted.

I also picked up a .223 in a Browning A-Bolt Medallion with a BOSS system.

If you shoot the 1000 yard game can you recommend a bullet/powder combo for the .300? I already load for a .300 that I hunt with.

I've never loaded for the .223. I do load for a 22-.250 though and have some knowledge with the .22 cals. Can someone recommend a good load for prarie dogs and the like? I've read a little and have seen a lot of guys like the v-max or the Sierra 52 gr Gameking. I would like to use a ball powder as I won't be weighing each charge probably and the ball powder meters pretty accurately in my measure. I've seen data for W748 and some good comments with it but all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
Benchmark or Vit N133 for your .223 40 grain Noslers / 52 grain A-max

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
For the 300: 190 or 210 Berger VLD. Re22, Re25, H1000, Retumbo, Ramshot Magnum, or IMR7828SSC

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine shot the 210 Bergers in his 300.

Try some Federal 300 Win Mag Match ammo. It is loaded with 190 Sierra MK.

I do know at one time [a long time ago] IMR 4350 was the powder of choice for the 300 Win Mag fired in ANY/ANY 100 Yard Matches.

Accuracy and low fps variation between rounds, is more important than a few fps, as you know the distance.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why don't you ask the guy you got it from for his load?
and the horn 50 gr spsx and aa 2230 is a good easy combo in the 223

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guy is Dead. I bought the rifles from his widow.

I Googled the rifle and I think it's a winner. From the Winchester Custom Shop guaranteed .5 MOA with good ammo!

I can't find any availability for powder, brass, bullets, primers.

OBama must go and fast.........................

The .223 is beautiful. I guess there is a myriad of loads.......

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
My 300 Mag is fond of 190 grain Sierra HP Match bullets and 83 grains of H 1000...standard large rifle primer...

200 grain Match bullet work just as well with the same load...

work up of course...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote