THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Why are 250-grain Swift A-Frame handloads so anemic?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are 250-grain Swift A-Frame handloads so anemic?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am just curious in relation to the .338WM handloads in the Swift manual. These loads seem to be very anemic; for example, even factory loads with 250-grain A-Frame and other .338 bullets are listed at over 2,650 fps, and some of us can develop much faster loads. However, according to the reloading data for the .338WM 250-grain A-Frame, this bullet with a maximum powder charge of 72 grains of RL-25 should produce a maximum muzzle velocity of 2,611 fps.

Do you happen to know the reason why this bullet should not be pushed faster without creating excessive pressure? Could it be because of the type of copper used on this bullet, or perhaps because of a greater contact area with the barrel?

I have also noticed that the maximum listed for the 275-grain A frame (same caliber) is a little over 2,500 fps with a little less powder, which is not bad at all for this bullet weight.

What are your experiences with handload development for the .338WM and these bullets? Have you used a Pressure Trace or any of such instruments?

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't got experience with the swift A frame in bigger calibers than .308 but I do find that sometimes they "feel" like they seat a little harder than other bullets which makes me think they are ever so slightly thicker than other 30 cal bullets. Also they have a little less lead in them so could be slightly longer than a traditional bullet. I would think you'd be ok about 2 grains below any normal 250 you've worked with(like say a nosler partition) that has been a safe load and then work up from there. I haven't seen any of the smaller a-frames make more veolocity per charge than other bullets and would think the 338 would follow suite but again have no "real world" experience. With the performance of an A-frame you should be able to shoot just about any North American animal from end to end.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Swift is being conservative, it is their first reloading manual. Just work your load up as you would any new bullet & you'll find you get pretty much the same vel. as say a NP.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray-I've no clue as to why the manual is like this, I do know this though.

In the 340 (one of my all time fav's we've run the 250 SAF and 275 SAF at the same speeds as other bullet makes in the same weight.

In my 338/06 the 250 SAF with IMR 4350 will run at 2590 out of a 23" tube.

I've no doubt you'll get plenty of speed out of the SAF/250 in the 338 WM if you get to using them.

I also have a lil 338/300 WSM ( a neat lil rifle that was a gift from a very good friend after guiding him on a hunt for bruins--sorry I digressed just proud of the rifle I guess). Any way and to the point I can't wait to try that bullet in it. It runs the 250 MK's at a bit over 2700 I I want to push it that hard (which I don't care to anymore).

A couple of years back they made a run of the SAF in a 217 grain. I do wish I could get my hands on a pile of those... But the lil gun and my other 33's shoot the 210 TX so well I am pretty much done with load developement for now...grins

Sorry to chase rabbits so long, good luck!

MD

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses so far. I do like the 250 and 275 qrainers, and have shot a moose with a 250-grain A-Frame. The moose dropped on the spot when the bullet hit, as I shot it through the lungs prom perhaps 250+ yards. The bullet didn't expand too much, but the nose folded back somewhat like a 230-grain Fail Safe. I recovered this bullet.

By the way, I noticed last year that as I came up in speed to near the maximum shown in the manual, the 250-grain A-Frame was turning tighter groups, and that was a plus. This year I am working up a few handloads with both of these bullets, and plan to test them this weekend or maybe next. I started a powder charge of RL-25 right at where I stopped last year. That's why I asked questions, just in case that you know something I don't about the A-Frame. I would like to load them to at least 2,660 fps for hunting moose, since I can easily reach 2,700 fps with the 250-grain Partition from my 24-inch barreled Ruger M77 MK. The 275 grainer is reaching 2,500 fps before i get to a maximum powder charge, so I plan to leave that one just like that since it will be my back-up ammo for the nasty critters while I hunt moose. 2,500 fps with the 275 grainer is plenty for a shot on grizzly within 200 yards.

I don't hunt grizzlies, but there is one that is getting too close for comfort near my campsite. It has been feeding from the gut piles left there after I have killed a few moose through the years, and last year it was out at 10:30 AM in plain daylight, which is uncommon for a large grizzly. This .338 has a fast barrel (if there is such a thing), but I don't use a Pressure Trace, just a chronograph and dial calipers.

Thanks again for the responses, and keep them coming.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would note that this is a partition bullet and pressures are higher with the same weight as more conventional bullets. I'd stick with their data with their bullet. I don't know for certain what type of pressure test equipment they use, but a few extra feet per second wouldn't be a real issue and you risk excess pressures if you shoot faster. I did use their bullets for development of .376 Steyr data and they were uniform in velocity and accurate within my limited skill window with Hodgdon suggested load data for Varget powder. If you aren't getting their suggested velocity with the same barrel length, then increase powder amount until you reach their listed velocities with the same powder, primer, case volume. If you have a different barrel length, adjust the expected velocity by the usual 25 fps, adjusted for high bore to case capacity ratios and reduced for low bore to case capacity ratios. My .338 Win Mag suits me very well at listed velocities. I would "shop around" in various published manuals for other velocity ranges, using the other manual's bullet selections and powder / primer / case combinations. Try a hotter primer after backing off with powder charges and working up again might give you results you like better.