New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wipeout and Lubalox
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Bought some of the wonder foam Saturday and went to work on some of my guns. I have a bad fouling .257 Weatherby that I shoot 115 grain Ballistic Silvertips out of. Wondering if the Wipeout works on the lubalox coating that is on these bullets, or whether I need a different solvent for that?

Thanks.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Have no idea if it wil work, but set the gun so that the barrel level or slightly muzzle down and fill it with foam. Walk off and come back the next day.
I never even look at a barrel until the next day when I use "Wipe-Out".

I just wish it went as far as the directions say and that the nozzle was longer.

One other wish would be a source to buy it close by!
LouisB

Posts: 4255 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have been cleaning my .300 Win Mag with it also. I am not getting any more blue, but I am getting a reddish/pinkish color to my patches now that is very much like Butches Bore Shine when it is pulling no color. Maybe this is normal for the wipe out but when I cleaned my .243 with butches a while back I cleaned it until is was bare to the metal. I put some wipeout down the barrel to see if I could pull any more color and the patch came out wet with no color. Just wondering if the reddish/pinkish color is normal, or if I need to keep going.

Thanks.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that "reddish/pinkish"(& brownish) color is carbon fouling residue.

I cleaned several badly fouled barrels with Wipe-Out and easily got to the point of having no more blue, but continued to get some of this brownish residue. I cleaned with some powder solvent, then went back to the Wipe-Out and got no more color.

I tried an old muzzleloader barrel and all that came out was a reddish-brown slime, and the powder fouling in my shotgun actions and barrel recesses went to reddish brown as well.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every time I have seen reddish things coming out of my rifles or shotguns, its been surface rust from leaving CR10 or Wipeout in too long without any protection. On the shotguns, its been when duck hunting in the chesapeake bay and the salt causing surface rust in the barrel.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote