New
Find
Notify
Tools

FLASHHOLES IN NORMA BRASS
 Login/Join

<Swamp-Man>
posted
I bought some used norma brass at the local gunshow and in the process of deburring the flashholes I noticed the flashholes in the brass was smaller than the pilot on the deburing tool. This tool works fine in Winchester brass. Is it ok to enlarge these flasholes or do I need to buy a different tool to use on norma brass.

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
S-man, There shouldnt be any burrs to de-...but what case are you working with?

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Swamp-Man>
posted
222 Rem, and yes there are some burs inside that I can see with my naked eye. Also noticed the same occurance with 240 Weatherby brass which is also Norma brass.

<Tomjones>
posted
The flash holes of European brass are usually smaller than American brass. It's theorized that the smaller flash holes are conducive to accuracy.

posted Hide Post
Check with Sinclair Intn'l. I think they make or carry a tool for smaller that U.S. standard flashholes. BTW, I've been thinkin' about getting some of Norma's .222 brass. Supposed to be good stuff. I'll bet the smaller fh DOES contribute to better accuracy.

Hopsing

Posts: 14 | Location: DFW | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It's very unusual that Norma brass would have burrs as they drill rather than punch their flashholes.

Posts: 12596 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
That's common believe. However, I raised the question during a plant tour at Norma and was told the flash holes were in fact punched. True, if you closely inspect case interior, you'll notice the burrs, albeit smaller than on most U.S. brass. Still a good reason to ream.

[ 02-26-2003, 12:08: Message edited by: Andr� Mertens ]

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
Ah Hah...must be that Lapua is one or the last to drill their flash holes...
Here is the link to the tool Hopsing was referring to:
http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=RECPDT&item=DB-2000&type=store

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Swamp-Man>
posted
would it be ok to use the .080 tool and ream out the flashhole?

<338Lapua>
posted
In regards to the Lapua brass, I will deburr it also, as I have found several batches with burs in the flash holes. Again, nothing like Rem or Win brass, but still visible in the brass.

Jim

<Delta Hunter>
posted
How about RWS brass? Are they punched or drilled? The ones I have look drilled.

one of us
posted Hide Post
RWS are totaly without burrs and come ready chamfered and ready to load. It really does seem the rolls royce of brass.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote