Find
Notify
Tools

Nominal wall thickness for .270 Win?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of M4Finny
posted
Again, I am offering up my humility as a relatively new rifle cartridge reloader. So here goes: I am reloading my own .270 Win for hunting. I realize that after at least 3 firings, it may be necessary to anneal the shoulder and then trim the case back. realizing that this causes cases to thin out over time, I need to know what the nominal wall thickness of these cases should be before I experience a split case.

Am I on the correct track here? Thanks for all your help.

Fin

Psalm 109:8 "Let his days be few; And let another take his office."

Posts: 31 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
Back when I had a 270 I found that the Remington,Federal, and others seemed to have less case capacity than did the Winchester. This lead me to think that since the exterior demensions were the same for the cartridge the wall thickness could be the difference????

I think you will find that the wall thickness of the various manufacturers will vary.

Sorry this doesn't exactly answer your question but hopefully will keep you from going down the wrong road.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
If you expect to see the necks thinning out prior to splitting it ain`t going to happen. The brass flows from the bottom up and necks may actually become a touch thicker.
Keep track of the number of loads and discard all of that lot when you 1st notice splits. After awhile you`ll get a feel for how long your brass should last and know when to expect to have to start tossing.
I load the 270 and toss all my brass no matter the cartridge at 10-12 loads. I don`t anneal and have seen very very few split necks, none I believe in this cartridge. Neck size and trimming almost becomes a non issue also.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M4Finny
posted Hide Post
Thanks Joe, sounds to me like I may be thinking about this way too much!

Wink

Psalm 109:8 "Let his days be few; And let another take his office."

Posts: 31 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 November 2009Reply With Quote