THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite electronic scale? Powder trickler?
 Login/Join

Picture of GaryO
posted
I load up only a few at a time, maybe 40 on a cool day. What say you? Thanks...

Gary

Posts: 7 | Location: Roseville, CA | Registered: 14 June 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary, I have only used one electronic scale. It is from Denver Instrument, it is their Accurate Load IV.

I have had it for at least 15 years. I leave it pluged in 100% of the time.

It works perfect...

However, truth is if you only load 40 rounds at a time I would rather have a very good beam scale than a cheap electronic scale...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
My favourite electronic scale is also an "automatic" electronic powder dispenser, accurate to 1/20th of a grain of powder. It is a "Dedicated Systems" product. Unfortunately, they are out of business and it is no longer available except on the "used" market.

I should add that many original owners received incorrect operator's instructions with theirs direct from the "factory", which made the machines dysfunctional for them.

If anyone has one which they have not been able to get to work reliably, PM me wih your phone number and I'll give you some hints which may make it perform.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DIXIEDOG
posted Hide Post
I really like my RCBS Chargemaster auto dispenser...not sure it's the best but it has worked great for me for quite awhile.

One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
Electronic scales are way overpriced for what they do. I went inexpensive (relatively speaking) and got the basic RCBS scales and have had no problems.

As far as a trickler, I use the long-spouted Lyman, which works better w/ electronic scales than do the traditional short-spouted ones.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
PACT for me. I've heard good about RCBS.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i like the digital scales because they are so easy to read. my old rcbs has been flawless. so far as a trickler i find that pouring a bit of powder in a pan and just pinching some between fingers works better than any machine. I have a chargemaster, but seldomly use it. dumping a close charge from a powder measure into the scale pan and then bringing it up with that old finger pinch is about 100 times faster

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an older RCBS scale (15 yrs?) and it works great. I bought a Hornady trickler, the plastic one with the brass trickler spout. It works but it's a son of a gun to keep in place due to it's light weight and I wouldn't recommend it. Like butchloc, I just pinch it anymore.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A balance beam scale is more accurate and much less subject to abberations caused by an air draft, temperature changes, or electronic interference. I've tried a couple of electronic scales because they look so inviting -- and I've always ended up tossing them and going back to the balance beam. The electronic scale is an unnecessary step backward in technology.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6mmBR.com had a good review of three electronic powder dispensers/powder scales.

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

I have the RCBS Chargemaster and have been happy with it. In spite of the device not being perfect, I use for all my loading - FWIW.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be aware the 6mmBR review is a few years old, both the Lyman and Pact units have been upgraded since the review, the DPS III Lyman is much faster that the older version and the powder dump has been simplified a lot. The warranty info on the RCBS is also wrong, it has a 1 year warranty, same as the Lyman.

http://www.rcbs.com/general/warranty/

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which ever model you should decide on I would insist it's " Trade Legal " . Repeatability is key with as precision as you dare go, an that's not in the inexpensive Hong long Chinese imported someones label slapped on model !.

Stay with Quality units and You'll Never regret it . For low volume an Ohaus balance beam would be my choice like 5/10 or 10/10 , however if electronic has got you then market's open according too your wallet . Remember " Trade legal " distinguishes quality from junk !.

http://www.scalesgalore.com/Ohaus_SPJ_Carat_Gold.cfm

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1251

I won't recommend any particular brand or what I personally use , as I use an analytical Lab scale which is far beyond most persons budgets . An I didn't purchase my scale for reloading purposes , it's a beneficial side non gratis .

salute archer archer

Posts: 46 | Location: Between here and there  | Registered: 18 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which ever model you should decide on I would insist it's " Trade Legal "
If there is such a scale (either balance beam or electronic) sold for reloading purposes, then I'm unaware of it.

Even the cheapest plasticky balance beam scales register within less than 1/10 grain accuracy, which is fully adequate for the most demanding handloading application.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Been using the Chargemaster combo for a while now with zero problems.
Followed some online instructions as to how to speed it up & now it dispenses a 60gr rifle load fast enough for anyone.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DIXIEDOG:
I really like my RCBS Chargemaster auto dispenser...not sure it's the best but it has worked great for me for quite awhile.

yep

Never seen better

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never use one as when I reloaded two to three hundred at a time I used an RCBS Uniflow and when I reloaded less that forty (for a rifle) standard RCBS 304 balance beam scale.

In fact although I have a powder trickler I just dump using the yellow Lee "Popeye's pipes". To throw just under my desired weight.

I then take a small partly filled scoop and "tap" the extra few kernels of powder into the pan to make up the weight.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
I never use one as when I reloaded two to three hundred at a time I used an RCBS Uniflow and when I reloaded less that forty (for a rifle) standard RCBS 304 balance beam scale.

In fact although I have a powder trickler I just dump using the yellow Lee "Popeye's pipes". To throw just under my desired weight.

I then take a small partly filled scoop and "tap" the extra few kernels of powder into the pan to make up the weight.
Enfield, it is Luddites like us who will ultimately inherit the Earth. Doing it the "old fashioned" way is usually, faster, more accurate, and much cheaper.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I then take a small partly filled scoop and "tap" the extra few kernels of powder into the pan to make up the weight.

You need a trickler mate! Much faster, much easier to use than the "scoop trick".

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Naw...just take a "pinch between thumb and finger" and dribble it in....I put away my "Little Dribbler" about 50 years ago. Big Grin It ended up getting tipped over or knocked around when I picked up the pan.

I pretty much use Lee dippers as I weigh all my charges so use the dipper as a dribbler also. Once I find a good load that Lee doesn't quite match, I make up a dipper and keep it with the reloading dies.

My favorite digital scale is a Ohaus 1010 beam balance...I have 4 digital scales and ALL of them can be 2-4 grains out...repeatability is key...the only one that repeats fairly accurately is my MTM and it can be off by up to 2 gr...that's TWO GRAINS, NOT TWO TENTHS of a grain.

My Ohaus 1010 beam balance will keep within 0.1 - 0.2 about 95% of the time.

I would like to find an "analytical" digital scale and they ARE available...I just can't afford one. Mad Frowner

There are a million stories in the city for everything under the sun... shocker lol

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Naw...just take a "pinch between thumb and finger" and dribble it in....I put away my "Little Dribbler" about 50 years ago. It ended up getting tipped over or knocked around when I picked up the pan.

Yes!! Same reason I stopped too. It just used to get in the way when perched on the little platform on the RCBS 304 scale!

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Yeah...I started calling myself "Thumblefingers the blindman".

I just had myself a intense update and learning experience. I haven't looked closely as digital scales for several years so I went surfing...found ALL KINDS of relatively cheap, jewelry scales with resolutions to 0.001g or about 0.03gr...about 10 times better than my Ohaus ever thought about being.

I thought my MTM at 0.01g resolution was good which is ~.15gr, aout equal to my Ohaus.

Now I have to buy another digital scale to play with. dancing

I also learned every headshop in the world has the best and most expensive "jewelry" scales that money can buy. Were rolling down hill like a snowball headed for HE** for sure.

You either stay ahead, keep up or you get run over....hahahahahaha

Luck

One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:

Enfield, it is Luddites like us who will ultimately inherit the Earth. Doing it the "old fashioned" way is usually, faster, more accurate, and much cheaper.

How would you know if you have never used the method you decry?
I doubt very much indeed that your way is faster or more accurate, or have you found a means to seat a bullet whilst simultaneously trickling in a few grains of powder to the next load?

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DIXIEDOG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FOOBAR:
Naw...just take a "pinch between thumb and finger" and dribble it in....I put away my "Little Dribbler" about 50 years ago. Big Grin It ended up getting tipped over or knocked around when I picked up the pan.

I pretty much use Lee dippers as I weigh all my charges so use the dipper as a dribbler also. Once I find a good load that Lee doesn't quite match, I make up a dipper and keep it with the reloading dies.

My favorite digital scale is a Ohaus 1010 beam balance...I have 4 digital scales and ALL of them can be 2-4 grains out...repeatability is key...the only one that repeats fairly accurately is my MTM and it can be off by up to 2 gr...that's TWO GRAINS, NOT TWO TENTHS of a grain.

My Ohaus 1010 beam balance will keep within 0.1 - 0.2 about 95% of the time.

I would like to find an "analytical" digital scale and they ARE available...I just can't afford one. Mad Frowner

There are a million stories in the city for everything under the sun... shocker lol

Luck

Do you have fluorescent lighting or an AC unit in your reloading area? It's odd to have so many electronic scales being off so far, seems like an electrical noise problem or they don't have a stable platform.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I doubt very much indeed that your way is faster or more accurate, or have you found a means to seat a bullet whilst simultaneously trickling in a few grains of powder to the next load?

It's cheaper!

I don't charge and seat the bullet in my ammunition but use a reloading tray. I use exclusively flat based bullets and reload in a different room from where I charge with powder. (Just better light AND a table/sideboard at just below eye level).

So I charge ALL and they go into the tray, then go into my reloading room after doing a visual final check to see if all the cases are filled with powder to the same level and, finally, test weigh again each tenth one.

It is only when I get the tray of charged cartridges to the press that I then put the cartridge case into my reloading press, insert the bullet above it, and bring the press handle down to seat the bullet.

I can see how if seating a bullet on case A whilst charging case B may be quicker with an electronic scale. But using the method I do I have no gain of time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oddbod:
How would you know if you have never used the method you decry?

quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek: I've tried a couple of electronic scales because they look so inviting -- and I've always ended up tossing them and going back to the balance beam.

Try reading more closely, grasshopper. I've been at this for better than forty years and have tried it all. I assure you, electronic scales are much more attractive in the showcase than they are useful on the loading bench.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This topic usually turns into an argument no one can ever win.

Used properly in a controlled environment, quality electronic scales work both quickly and very, very accurately. So do balance beam scales.

However, it is a LOT harder to tell how accurate balance beam scales are or aren't when weighing multiple objects such as a series of powder charges.

Because loader's balance beam scales aren't dimensionally large (long-beamed) they do not read very discreetly (finely). So, they may look like they are repeating the same readings when if fact sometimes they really aren't. They are about as susceptible to the effects of dust, static electricity, magnetism, and drafts as are electronic scales. It just doesn't show up as well.

My view is that a person should use whatever works well for HIM. If one has developed skills with either type, that is the sort they should use.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Reloading gives one lots of choices, to each his own. It is a known fact there is more than one way to Rome.

I've done powder weighing most ways possible, and if my RCBS 1500 ever gives up the ghost I will be on the phone ordering another one pronto. No comparison for me in ease of use and speedwise. Just ever so slightly before I have finished seating the bullet I hear this beeeeep. Maybe I better better get a spare ordered just in case Wink

To those who insist it is faster and easier to use powder drops, beam scales, and tricklers (fingers included Cool) then we have to settle for an agree to disagree, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Flourescent lighting had no effect on the LED sceen or appliances otherwise your flatbed computer monitor wouldn't work.

I've been at this game well over 50 years and I have all kinds of extra pieces and parts, at least 6 different beam and digital scales, 4 powder measures or 18-20 if you count each RCBS pistol rotor, 3-4 die sets for one caliber, measuring tools(6 dial and digital calipers and micrometers) and 4 cartridge neck measuring tools, 2 concentricity measuring devices and another one on it's way...one small and one large digital scale on my computer desk and kitchen, one in use at my loading bench and an extra in a box for a spare/check...and I just ordered a 0.001g resolution one to play with...and that's not counting all the other krap I've built up, used and discarded or tossed in the junk cabinet over the years...you can NEVER HAVE ENOUGH TOOLS to play with.

Most people have no clue as to the actual resolution of their particular digital OR beam scale or how to go about calibrating them.

Both types of scales have particular good points and problem areas, but again, most reloaders don't bother with learning how to use the good points and eliminating or get around the bad points.

All my scales have check weights to use to calibrate but HOW many of you bother with calibrating your scales each time you use them...I would guess about ZERO percent...I don't do it all the time and I get very persnickity when I'm working on a .25MOA load.

As Alberta Canuck says, but I will add too...EVERY TOPIC usually turns into an argument without ANY winners...and this forum seems the worst of all I visit...no matter WHAT topic is discussed...VERY, VERY SAD that all this knowledge gets tossed out with the baby.

I don't know WHY there has to be a "faster, easier, better...etc" anything...I don't reload for speed...if I wanted speed I would just buy factory ammo by the truckload and hire someone to open the boxes for me... Big Grin Eeker

Many of the hoohaas remind me of a sophomore philosophy student arguing with the professor thinking he knows something, but really knows nothing because he hasn't had time to learn the next step yet...and I learn something new every time I visit a forum, so I guess I'M the sophomore who just thinks he's a professor. shocker lol

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have beam scales, electronic scales and the AMT Autoscales. They all have their uses but I never use an electronic scale for charging a case. When adding powder to an electronic scale in small amounts such as a with a trickler they will often not register the added powder without stick slip. You add powder and it does not register for several to many kernels until the display shows a big jump.

Electronic scales are good for weighing cases or a random powder charge from a pulled down round of unknown origin. Beam scales are tedious for this because you a hunting an unknown weight.

For loading a few rounds I use a 3 poise balance beam. For reloading a large lot of rifle ammo with extruded powders I use the Autoscale.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted

I never use an electronic scale for charging a case. When adding powder to an electronic scale in small amounts such as a with a trickler they will often not register the added powder without stick slip. You add powder and it does not register for several to many kernels until the display shows a big jump.

Depends on the scale brand and model. Some will, some won't.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alberta,
Which ones don't do that?
I have two quality scales by different manufacturers that both do it.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I have two that don't. One is a very old PACT, from before they were compatible with an electronic powder dispenser. The second is my Dedicated Systems scale which adjusts itself to 1/20th grain when running its powder dispenser, and actually reads out in 100ths of a grain.

Actually, all probably have some bit of a built in program "cushion" against variations from slight air movement, that sort of thing. With some of them the cushion is very pronounced...likely the equivalent of .1 to .2 grains. But in my two scales named above, it is less than one kernal of powder.

The worst one I ever had was one of the very first Dillon electronic scales. Once IT took a reading, you had to increase or decrease the weight by about .25 to .30 of a grain to get the reading to change. I sent the first one back and they sent me one which suppossedly had a smaller "gate" for reading changes. But it didn't. It was just as bad. So, I sent it back too.

Those "cushions" are intentionally programmed into reloader's scales, as shooters tend to bitch so much about varying readings. The manufacturers would rather make the scales ignore small changes than to have to hear all the complaints arising from over-sensitivity.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have three balance beam scales (which is two more than I need). All of them check out perfectly (after leveling to zero with an empty pan in place) with the check weight which came with the Ohaus (the oldest of the bunch). The two brands (major reloading manufacturers) of electronic scales I owned wouldn't get within two grains of the check weight's actual certified weight, regardless of how carefully they were zeroed and shielded.

In fairness, I'm sure there are better electronic scales now available on the market. I'm equally sure that none of them would do a better, faster job of weighing powder for me than that old Ohaus. I'm all for progress; I'm just not for changing something ineffectually and calling it progress.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted:

I'm all for progress; I'm just not for changing something ineffectually and calling it progress.

I can certainly agree with that sentiment. But most mechanical beam scales are pretty ineffective at running a powder dispenser/trickler.

On the other hand, SOME digital electronic scales are very good at both weighing objects, and running powder dispensers.

If we want electronic scales to react to VERY small changes we have to keep telling manufacturers that. They will provide what is wanted if they hear it often enough.

But at the same time, we need to understand that such sensitivity will also cause readings to vary more than we might sometimes like, because "weight" does vary as it is sensed by different devices in different (or constantly changing) environmental conditions.

Nothing in this world is perfect, or dead easy. Life is a constant challenge of doing the best we can with what we can get for tools. Handloading included.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot between 2,000 and 3,000 rounds per year on my private benchs. I shoot anything from .223 Rem up to 50 BMG. Shooting that much I use two of the old Lyman Autoscales each with a single powder that I shoot a lot of. I also use two of the Lyman DPS 1200's and change the powders in them often. I also use the Lyman 1500 XP electronic scale with the powder trickler attached. The last 5 years the 1500
XP is my final check before a load is finished after the balance beams of the Autoscales because it is extremely accurate. I also check the old original RCBS balance beam with the 1500 XP, because I have found it is sometimes off somewhat. I thank the stars for the electronic scales and dispensors and wander what I did loading all those many rounds before I discovered them. I calibrate often and check with known weights provided by Lyman. I am anal about accuracy on all my hunting rifles, and figure that if the load is not near perfect when it leaves my shop, how can it be on with all the bad shooting conditions I might encounter in the field. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote