New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman turret press
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I use a Lyman turret press (old model) for my reloading. Virtually all of my reloading is handgun with the occassional .30-06. I'm about to start reloading for my .375 H&H. Is the turret press up to it? The turret isn't 100% solid. They've added a rear support on the new models for this reason. This seems OK with my pistol loads but resizing .375 H&H is going to exert more pressure. I'm concerned the loads will not be concentric. Also, any quality difference between Lyman and RCBS dies?

Posts: 141 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only Lyman die I don't like is the universal decap they sell. It is a P.O.S. The old Lyman dies I have are on par with RCBS. All of my newer dies are Redding or Forster.

I'd look for a stronger press if I were you. That wobble will guarantee you trouble somewhere down the line.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Citori - I've never thought much of turret presses. What little advantage they may have in convenience is FAR outweighed by negative qualities IMHO.

I second the notion of getting a new press. There is a certain degree of "give" in every press, but an "O" press such as the RCBS Rockchucker minimizes as much as anything I can think of.

Sorry [Frown]

By the way, I think RCBS dies are far superior to Lyman as well. Go with RCBS or Redding.

[ 08-02-2003, 06:18: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Citori3 had it right the first time. Like everything else in life, it all depends on what you are doing.

I love my cheap Lee turret, nee a Pro 1000 from which I threw all the junk away. For loading pistol, not for anything else.

For the bigger stuff, I've used a Rockchucker for 25 years or more. It's wonderful for major sizing but awkward for pistol.

I even keep one of those crummy little Lee C presses around. It's light and moves around real easy and is just the ticket for flaring cases and seating bullets. Nice to take it to the range with a hundred or so sized and primed cases to do a little load development at the range.

Keep that Lyman Turret if you like it and keep right on using it for light jobs that take a lot of die changing. Just add a heavy press for the heavy jobs.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first press I bought some 35 years ago was a Lyman All American Turret. It is the aluminum press. Center post is vertical.

Is OK for pistol cartridges ... but there are much better presses. Hasn't been used in years, and I am getting ready to ship it to a board member as a gift.

I now use a Dillon 550 for medium rifle (where absolute accuracy isn't important), a Dillon 1050 for pistol and rifle based on small primers, and a good old RCBS Rock Chucker for everything that I want high accuracy from and everything truly big (.375, .416 Rigby, and .470 NE).

If you are reloading rifle cases, or want the best accuracy ... get a Rock Chucker or the modern equivalent. Have had this thing 30 years and it has always been mounted on a bench. Just a simple and useful machine. What ever else you may buy, this one will provide valuable service the rest of your live!

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The wife and I are using 7 1987 Lyman T-Mag and an [1973] RCBS Rock Chucker presses to load rifle and pistol.
You did not say which press you have. The SPART-T is a good clunking press for handgun. If you go for rifle, the Lyman T-Mag or the Rock Chucker are my recommendations.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Mstarling said.

-

-

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have used a T Mag for around 20 years. It has been astrong reliable press. I have made some improvements on it over the years. I have a socket that I use to tighten the nut when I set up the Fl or seat die.
that keep it from rocking and I also drilled and tap the side of the hear for a handle to use for rotating the head.
I load the 300HH and it works fine.
I have a lyman true line jr i use for 38 specials I got it mid 70's and it work just fine.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So long as your press has enough throat to handle the longer H & H cartridges, it will do them as well as it does the '06's. The H & H case should be NECK SIZED ONLY (as long as your chamber is not out-of-round or has some other anomaly). If your old press is worn to the degree that it has visible "give" in the turret, it's time to replace it. I wouldn't FL size any rifle case in one of the older, weaker turret presses. Use your turret press for the necking and seating dies, and if you need to FL size anything, get an el-cheapo Lee O-frame press or something similar for that one operation.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
If the .375 H&H is to be loaded for it's intended purpose then the cases should be FL sized for reliable operation. The cartridge has an adequate 15 degree shoulder to headspace on and if the FL die is set right case life will be just about as good as a neck sized case.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark, YES!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew other serious reloaders had to be using those little Lee C presses for light work.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote