THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning the goop out of a bullet seating die?
 Login/Join

Picture of boomstick
posted
What is the best way to clean the high temp cast bullet lube that builds up in a bullet seating die.

I do not want to heat the die in an oven till the lube flows out if heating will possibly change the dimensions of the inside of the die.

Sure, I can unscrew the bullet seating plug and scrape the goo out but that is a real "PITA" and does not get the die totally clean.

Posts: 30 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Well, I just screw out the stem and clean that. I really don't get build up anywhere else in the die. Further, it is just a wad of lube, pretty much just pops off the stem.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of boomstick
posted Hide Post
Actually there was so much built up that it was causing my bullets to seat lower in the case. It had also built up in the area of the die where taper crimping occurs.

Posts: 30 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
boomstick,

Welcome to the forum.

We use Hoppe's No.9, and it works great.

Posts: 67465 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<GlennB>
posted
I take it outside and spray the heck out of it with brake cleaner.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brake or carb cleaner, rubbing alcohol, lighter fluid, Hoppes #9 - any decent solvent will do the job pronto.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brake cleaner works great, evaporates very fast too.

Posts: 193 | Location: AR | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
boomstick
My Star sizer has a heating element to help soften the lube, etc. While I'm sizing and lubing I set the die mouth down on the heating element and let the lube run out, then wipe it up.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the brake cleaner.