New
Find
Notify
Tools

Progressive loaders ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I plan on getting into cowboy action shooting in the spring of 2005 and want to purchase a progressive soon to learn and fine tune the use of the chosen progressive loader during the winter months - will be loading 38/357 and 45 colt ammo - I am considering the Dillon 550B or the RCBS Pro 2000 - can I get some pros and cons of both of these loaders from users? Any problem areas?
Thanks for any assistance - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Although most of my stuff is green and has RCBS on it somewhere, the Dillon 550 would be your better choice.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt DILLON!!!

I have a soon to be 16 year old RCBS ammomaster as well, (Same as the Pro 2000 except for the new strip primer feed which I hate!! and caseactivated powder measure)and it is far more finichy etc than the Dillon.

I would take a look at a Dillon XL 650 as well since I personally prefer the automatic indexing and the extra station. Only 100$ extra from a RL550B and as far as I know in the same ballpark as the "green machine"

Posts: 118 | Location: Norway | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a dillon xl 650 which I am yet to use or even set up... but I was reccomended this model

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a dillon 550b that I load mostly rifle with. It produces great ammo. For 90% of my handgun loads I use a lee loadmaster. I purchased it when on e-bay and put in a very low offer thinking I would not get it. I have been somewhat dissapointed with the rifle loading with this unit due to the lee powder measure, but now have a hornady lock and load powdeer dispensing unit on it. It has loaded about 12-15 thousand rounds so far with very little problems. The dillon has had no problems while loading more or less the same number or rounds. To me, the lee is a bit faster than the dillon, but it takes a bit more tinkering to ceep it working at top speed. The rcbs unit looks good, and the primer punch is faster to change than either the dillon or lee. It will load at about the same rate as the dillon. One nice feature is that the powder measure stays with the press not the shell plate. With the lee, the powder (pistol)measure is very simple and easy to set and use and cheaply can be left on the turret with your dies and just pop it on top, and you are ready to go. The dillon is likely the way to go, but if you can find a cheap deal on a lee, you may find that you like it.

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I have two Dillons and a Hornady Lock and Load A/P. For handgun rounds especially the Hornady is a superb machine. Both this machine and the Dillons require a trifle fidgeting to get them working nicely but I'd give the edge to the Hornady over the Dillon. Hornady's machine indexes the rounds and the Dillon 550 requires manual indexing as does the RCBS. Dillon's 650 auto indexes however and also is a fine machine.

For those that recommended Dillon I concurr....it's a fine press....However the Hornady is also a very good machine.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy a Dillon 650! The only thing you regret when buying the best is the price. I use RCBS equipment extensively but not their progressives - my experience with them was a nightmare. Dillon specializes in progressives and supports them well, Hornady may make a good machine but will they stick with it like Dillon does?
PC, have you tried setting your 650 up? Here in the US you can call thier service number and they will just about walk you through whatever problem you have. Maybe you can find one of those 10 cent a minute phone cards and get some help. I found the extensive instructions included with mine to be excellent (when I actually followed them properly)............DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I have a Dillon 550 and love it. A very high quality machine. If mine were to dissapear, I'd buy another one.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Dillon 550 and a 1050. The 550 is fine for rifle cartridges larger than .223. I don't think there is a better pistol ammo loader around than the 1050. If you're going to load thousands and thousands of rounds the 1050 is hard to beat.

Were I to do it all over again, I'd try the compromise of one 650. Everyone I know that uses one ... simply loves it.

That being said, for critical large caliber rifle ammunition to be used on real hunts, I still load with a Rock Chucker and weigh every charge.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch for the response to my question - I have not found the Hornady or the Lee progressives to view, seems that most everyone says RCBS or Dillon for both availability and reliability. Will look at the Hornady and Lee if I can locate them.
Locally, the Dillon 550B is about $330 while the RCBS Pro 2000 is about $420 - I am aware that the accumulation of needed / desired accessories will increase the price of whichever I choose but is the RCBS "worth" $90 more?
I probably should not flinch over the dollars but money is tight lately so I seek the ever elusive "best buy for my dollar" - I will not be loading rifle ammo on the progressive as I thoroughly enjoy taking the time to use the single stage for rifle cartridges - thanks for the information, any more feedback is greatly appreciated - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DJ,

I have not tried to set it up yet as I we will be relocating soon I hope and I have no room in the property we are renting....so when I get into a better house I will get a new bench and get it set up....before that I will buy the strong mount and a couple of cal changes.

Evetually I want two 650's set up for smaal and large primers.

PC.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kmule,

spend the extra $90 and put ti towards a dillon 650 then you have the dillon service and the auto indexing mate !!