THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

help-30-06 won't chamber after reloading!!!!!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys. I need some help here. I reloaded some 30-06 ammo with Win brass. after reloading, the cartridges will not chamber in my buddy's Tikka 695. Well, they chamber, but the bolt will not close. I re-checked OAL and the brass length and they are o.k. After looking at the reloaded brass and comparing it to once fired factory brass, it seems the shoulder area on the reloaded brass it not as defined as the factory once fired brass. the shoulder looks a little rounded. Do you think my problem is with the die or could I have screwed up the die setting to do this? The die is a hand-me-down old Lyman die that I got from my uncle. Any help on this one would definitely be appreciated.....

Posts: 77 | Location: TN | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the dies were not properly adjusted. A couple other possible causes may be a bullet seated out too far, not full length sizing or not trimming the fired case to its proper length.

If the shoulder appears abnormal then its probably a die adjustment, also you should know that if the shoulder was pushed back then that is VERY dangerous and that brass should be discarded.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the suggestions. The cases were full length resized, then trimmed. The bullets are not in contact with the lands. If the shoulder was pushed back what would it look like? Wouldn't it chamber anyway, but with excessive headspace?

one of us
posted Hide Post
should the fired case be trimmed or should the resized case be trimmed

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Place one of the reloaded cartridges on a sheet of glass......

look real close at the shoulder area....you will probably see a small "hump" in the brass and daylight between the case adn the glass just behind it.

If you do, you have crunched the shoulder out during your reloading preocess....

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
If the brass has been full length resized, maybe the shoulder just needs a little bumped, adjust your resizer die a little, so when at the bottom of your stroke you just tap the shoulder of your brass. This will allow your bolt to close. This only requires your die a additional 1/4 of a turn then retighten it down, and try resizing, I bet this will cure your problem.

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. If the shoulder needs to be bumped, could this be caused by adjusting the die when the brass was too long(before trimming)?

one of us
posted Hide Post
They're most likely not resized enough. When I adjust the dies, I put a mark from a felt tip pen from the case neck to the shoulder, this will tell you when it touches. If the cases weren't fired in this rifle, the problem is aggravated. On some cartridges, if the case neck isn't lubed well on the inside (especially .243) when the expander pulls back through it yanks the shoulder forward enough to make them hard to chamber. This doesn't seem possible, but it is, I've formed 7x57 brass from .257 Roberts new brass and not had enough lube and pulled the whole top of the case off just below the shoulder. On some rifles you'll have to adjust the die down to where you feel it cam over at the end of its stroke to adjust for the small amount the press springs while resizing.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another possibility is crimping!
You didn't say, but, did you crimp these loads?
If so, maybe you could have "over-crimped" them.
This will make the shoulder flare out a little, which will not allow the cartrige to be chambered.
Chuck

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it's too big somewhere...

mic the base and see

mic the shoulder and see

mic the length (doubt it)

what I think is that you have a case where the die was TOO LOW, and put a slight ring on the shoulder...

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help, fellers. I think after reading everyone's comments that I had the die adjusted too low or may not have had enough lube in the necks. I was REAL conservative with the rcbs case lube 2 in the necks. I am paranoid that I will use too much and contaminate the charge.

What do ya'll recommend for lubing necks, i.e. method, lube type, amount of lube, and application procedure

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't help you on the reloads StikR, but are you still looking at selling that stock you have for the Sako L579? I replied on my other post but never heard from you. Send me a PM or email me with the details.

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do not put any lube inside the case unless your using Nickle Cases, then it will be a dry lube. But if your resizing the case just RCBS lube will work don't use alot of lube, put some 5 cases on your pad and roll them with the palm of your hand then take them to your press.

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And get yourself a Sierra Reloading Manual.....step by step instructions, even bumping the case a little.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StikR:
should the fired case be trimmed or should the resized case be trimmed

Always trim the resized case. The process of (re)sizing the case tends to elongate it because the brass has to go somewhere when it is compressed in the sizing die, and the place it goes is forward, thus lengthening the case.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaska Bush Man:
Do not put any lube inside the case unless your using Nickle Cases, then it will be a dry lube.

I don't agree with this advice. I do lube the inside of my case necks, using the Lee case lube -- it comes in a tube like toothpaste, and it's about the consistency of toothpaste. The Lee case lube is water based and wax-like, not oil based, so it does not contaminate the powder in the way that oil-based lubes do. I put a small amount of it on a cotton swab (such as a Q-tip) and then lightly swab the inside of the case mouth before resizing the case. Afterwards, I trim the cases -- I always trim all my cases after each resizing, using the Lee case trimming system. Then, while I am still spinning the case in the electric drill (I use that method to spin the case for trimming) I take a new dry cotton swab and swab out the inside of the case mouth to remove any lube that remains.

Although any properly sized case should fit in any rifle of the given caliber, one possibility is that the particular 30-06 rifle you are having trouble with may have a very tight chamber, and the sizing die you are using may be at max or over for the 30-06 cartridge. If that is true, you may be able to solve your problem by using a die called a small base sizing die (made by RCBS) -- these dies are made for sizing cases that need to be made on the minimum size or even slightly undersize for a given caliber. But before you do that, I'd check the adjustment of your die, as it's likely that your problem is coming from an improperly adjusted sizing die.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think after reading this, Ak Bush Man has the best advice. Sounds to me your problem plain pure and simple is that you resized too much.

From experience born of screwing up a few things;

When you resize a case, take your first one, and after you resize it, chamber it in a rifle. See if it is tight or not. If it goes in but the bolt closes stiffly, then turn your die a quarter turn and try it again. Do this until your case goes in easily and then you have the rest of the brass already Die Adjusted.

As far as lubing the inside necks for resizing, I quit doing that. Usually I resize the brass with the decapping pen out. I do this because if I do get a stuck case, it is easier to get out without the decapping pin in.

If I do resize with the decapping pin in, then I take it out and put gun spray lube on the decapping pen and re install it. I find it easier than lubing the necks of each case. The neck and the pin are what need to be touching. Lubing one, is easier than lubing all of the case necks.

My preferred method is to resize my brass with the decapping pin removed. I then clean the brass in the tumbler with WALNUT media overnight and store it in the container for that caliber. I use plastic kitchen snap top tubs from Walmart that cost 98cents each.

When I am going to reload for that caliber, I use the necksizing die to pop out the old primer. The neck is adjusted back to proper size that was not done when I full length resized. I then use my camfer tool if I am loading flat base ( non boattail) bullets.

Dealing with stuck cases and the pain of removing them is what got me doing this, this way. I also like to full length size brass when I have some spare time and then store it.

When I am ready to load some for shooting, I have to deprime it, prime it, camfer and load it with powder and seat the bullet.

Yeah done in steps It make take more overall time, but It sure has eliminated a shitload of headaches.!!
[Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great Information from all, and I think a L.E. Wilson Headspace gauge would also help. Midway has em for 17.22.
"This is a one-piece, non-adjustable cylinder-type gauge for checking fired and resized cartridge cases for cone-to-head and overall length.
Used to compare cartridges against the minimum SAAMI chamber dimensions."
I use them for my two rifle calibers, and its easy to adjust the F/S reloading dies using the gauge to see if the shoulders are being pushed back too far, or the shoulders aren't being touched. Good tool, and for me, worth the 17+ bucks.

Posts: 8 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
You want proper FL seating die instructions, here they are. Place the ram at full swing, screw the FL sizer die in until it is flush against the shell holder and lock in place. Cycle a once fired lubed case through the FLl sizer die and see if it chambers with little or no resistance. If the case does not chmaber smoothly then screw the FL sizer die in against the shell 1/16" more so the shoulder of the case is bumped back to factory specs. If this does not cure your problem then the die must be returned to the maker for replacement or repair. Most all FL die problems are a result of improper die adjustment.

<Reloader66>
posted
Also make sure the shell holders and dies are of the same make to eliminate the chance of the shell holder being the problem. In some instances mix and match of shell holders and dies will result in improper case FL resizing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I may get a blast from everyone here, but I use Hornady One Shot on all of my cases from .22 Hornet to .308 Norma Mag and 45-70 and haven't ever had any problems with a stuck case or stretched a case so that it wouldn't chamber.

Dennis

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most likely what is happening is that your bullet seating die is adjusted wrong. Most seating dies have a little ridge built into them that's designed to crimp the bullet into place. Unfortunately, most bullets nowadays don't come with cannelures or they're not in the right place for crimping. What happens is that when you seat the bullet the die attempts to crimp the case neck into the bullet. If there's no cannelure then it's not able to crimp and something has to give, which is usually the case right where the case body meets the shoulder. The shoulder will "buckle" a bit and form a small ridge, very hard to detect visually but easy to feel if you run your fingernail over it. It's just enough to cause hard or impossible chambering.

The fix for this is to back the seating die out of the press a turn or two so that the shell holder doesn't touch the bottom of the die when the ram is at the top of it's stroke, then re-adjust your bullet seating depth with the seating stem. If the shellholder won't touch the bottom of the die then the case isn't inserted fully into the die and it won't touch the crimping "lip" at the top of the die.

I know this because for about five years I loaded rounds for all my rifles and about one in ten gave me hard chambering. I pulled my hair out trying to figure it out and tried everything short of voodoo to get it to stop, nothing worked. One day when I was looking real hard over a round that wouldn't chamber and felt this bulge at the shoulder case that wasn't there on the other cases, a little investigation into it and it finally dawned on me what was happening. For the life of me I can't figure out why the die companies still manufacture dies with this stupid crimping feature, it causes so many problems like this. If you're going to crimp bullets the only decent way to do it is with the lee factory crimp die, there's no reason to have that stupid crimp feature built into a seating die but the majority of the makers have it on their standard dies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boltman:
The fix for this is to back the seating die out of the press a turn or two so that the shell holder doesn't touch the bottom of the die when the ram is at the top of it's stroke, then re-adjust your bullet seating depth with the seating stem.

I agree partly with this advice. It is certainly true that you don't want your seating die to crimp the mouth of your cases when seating bullets, and that it will definitely do so if it is screwed down too far.

My method for adjusting the seazting die is this: I put a case that I've sized and trimmed and cleaned and primed, but not loaded with powder, in the shell holder and raise the ram of the press to the top of its stroke. I then screw the seating die down on that case until it just begins to touch the mouth of the case -- you can tell that it's doing so because it begins to become tight on the case. Then I back the seating die off just a smidgen by unscrewing it a bit--maybe a 1/16 of a turn or less. I want it that way because I want the seating die to be adjusted to be as far down as possible without actually beginning to constrict the case mouth because I want the case to have as much support as possible while the bullet is being seated, without the seating die actually beginning to crimp the case mouth. For my method to work, you need to trim all your cases to the same length so that the sample case you use to adjust the die will be actually representative of all the cases you are going to load.

After you have set the die as I describe and locked it into place, you use the seating stem adjustment to get the bullets seated to the depth you want. I back off the seater a few turns and seat my first bullet; then measure the overall length with a caliper. The OAL should start out greater than you want. Then you can gradually screw the seater down more, measuring the OAL each time to see whether you've gotten to the OAL you want, until you reach your goal. Once you have it right for the first cartridge, it will be right for the rest of the lot that you are loading. You may want to measure the second and third load, but if those come in right, the rest of the batch will be right too.

If you change bullets (e.g. from a 180 grain Hornady spire point to a 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip), you will need to start the OAL adjustment process over because the different front shapes (ogives) of different bullets means that the seating plug engages them differently, so a correct adjustment that gives you the OAL you want for one bullet will usually not be right--not give the OAL you want--for another different bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I reloaded some 30-06 ammo with Win brass. after reloading, the cartridges will not chamber in my buddy's Tikka 695.
Wait a minute here SitkR. Let's get the geneology of this brass! If you have been firing and reloading these cases for YOUR 30/06 that is no guarantee they will work in your buddy's 30/06. I had EXACTLY the same thing happen to me once when I made some 30/06 ammo for a friend. His rifle wouldn't touch them! And I full length resized every case with RCBS dies that normally worked perfectly.

What was the problem? He had one of those damn rifles that you will need a set of SMALL BASE reloading dies for. If his chamber is UNDERSIZED, you will never get them to chamber, my friend........unless you buy the small base resizing die.

If these cases will chamber in YOUR 30/06 but not his, I doubt you did anything wrong. The problem is his chamber.

[ 08-04-2003, 08:55: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
stikR,
Just went through the same ordeal with a Win. Mod. 670 in .243 that i picked up. in my case my Forster F/L sizing die was not bumping the shoulder back enough to allow the bolt to close. if you set the sizing to touch the shell holder with the ram at it's highest travel, cases sized with this setting should cahmber in most rifles of that caliber. before you invest in a small base sizer die, which works the brass more than a regular sizing die and shortens the case life. take just a sized case with the sizing die adjusted to just touch the shell holder and try it in the sako action. if it will chamber but the bolt won't close turn the sizing die down in 1/16th of a turn increments, but do not go past 1/2 a turn beyond the sizing die touching the shell holder. you should be able to close the bolt before you reach the 1/2 turn. a short cut chamber and a tight chamber are two seperate issues. for a tight chamber you generaly have to use a small base sizer to correct the problem. HTH and good luck.
Rick

Posts: 47 | Location: California | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of this commentary is very interesting. I've experienced the exact same problem before and it was solved IMMEDIATELY when I changed dies. Some are just made tighter than others. To really be on the safe side, do as Pecos45 suggests and try a small base die.

The thing to remember is that when brass is "virgin" it is actually smaller than once-fired brass resized in a small-base die. And it is much smaller than once-fired brass resized in many "normal" dies. If factory loads chamber and fire easily in your buddy's rifle, the problem is almost certainly that his chamber is on the tighter end of the spectrum.

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great info on this post. I learned alot as I often do reading here.

My problem is solved. I bought an RCBS FL die and sized some brass with a 1/4 turn past the touching point on the die and it now chambers fine. I'm not sure if it was the die or if I had the original old die mal-adjusted. I don't really care, I needed an excuse to buy a new die. I have several old Lyman dies that were passed down from my uncle and I am slowly replacing them with green stuff. Thanks again for all of the info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
StikR - Glad you're up and running again. Lyman never built great reloading dies to start with IMHO. I think replacing them for anything you seriously load for is a sound policy.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote