New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Caliper doubts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Check out your local Industrial Tool Suply houses, prices are usualy real reasonable. I just got a Mitutoyo 70th Aniversary limited Edition set, including a digital/electronic stainless/coolant proof IP-67 6" Caliper, and IP-65 stainless digital/coolant proof 1" mic in a fitted lined wood case w/2-ceramic check blocks for $259. Can't go wrong with a set like that!

Phil

Posts: 1468 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What brand of caliper should I purchase for reloading 223 and 22-250 cartridges? I think there must be a problem with the one I am using now because it reads differently on the same cartridge at times. I do not think it is the way I am reading it. Can calipers wear out ? This one is a cheap model I am guessing. Some thoughts please.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Starrett makes a very good caliper

Posts: 110 | Location: Minden , Nebraska | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deutsch-Drahthaar
posted Hide Post
Cheap calipers are just that cheap. Often calipers are subject to abuse by new users. ie: Sharp, fast and abrupt opening of the jaws can cause the internal gears to jump, bend or break . Also dings in the jaws will always read a faulty measurement.

I have had an RCBS calipers made of plactic (DONT BUY)!!! JUNK.

Franklin Arsenal calipers are nice, accurate and affordable.

Find a solid pair of stainless steel calipers oil them lightly when needed and wipe them off always before storing and they will last a lifetime.

Good luck,
Ben

Posts: 112 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 25 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a machinist by trade and have unfortunately tried many different brands and styles of callipers. Starret, Mitutoyu and Brown and Sharpe are the only ones to own. Of the three the Mitutoyo's are by far the best value. You can often find them on sale in Travers, Enco, MSC or Grainger for around $60-$80. Cheap tools cost you money and time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Starret and Mitutoyo are always good. My original pair of Mitutoyo's are over twenty years old and still work perfectly. I got a pair of their digital calipers about ten years ago. Very nice. I use them most every day that I reload. Any of the reloading company hosue brands are very much false economy. Micrometers are nice, calipers are necessary IMO.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote