New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 and 376 Steyr loads for black bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I may get to go after black bears this fall......my primary firearm will be a Competitor handgun in 338-06 AI, but I will also take either my Steyr Pro Hunter in 376 or a Rem. Model 7 in 308.......having never hunted bears, I'd appreciate hearing what bullets would you would use in each? The 338-06 is covered, just need bullet suggestions for the rifles.

In 375, I have 225 Hornady, 235 Speer, 260 Ballistic Tips, and 270 Hornady.

I am thinking 165 Partitions for the 308, but might consider the 165 Rem. corelock if that would work?

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Personally I prefer 270 Hornady RN bullets.

I like RNs because around here bears are soldom seen at long range (so trajectory is plenty flat for distances involved) and I think the RN tend to penetrate in more of a straight line than more pointy slugs.

The 270 gr. bullet from the .376 Steyr does plenty of damage without having to tumble. As it goes in a pretty straight line, it is easy to aim through the boiler room for the off shoulder (on angling away shots) or at the near shoulder on angle-on shots and still get through everything that makes them tick in addition to breaking down locomotion at least partly.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Any of those will work just fine...pick the one that's easiest to handload.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... I am thinking 165 Partitions for the 308, ...

Hey GonHuntin, Even though I've not used that bullet on Black Bear, I feel confident it would do an excellent job. I base that on many Black Bear kills of my own as well as guys I hunted with that used regular old 165gr Hornady SPs in M14s.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote