New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am officially spoiled..........by the Co-Ax
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Used a Rock Chucker for about 40 years but grew tired of pinching my fingers when loading the long stuff. After adding the Chapuis 9,3x74R decided to sell the Rock and buy a Ammo Master. Really enjoy the bigger window and will enjoy it more when my 450 Nitro comes in. But the Ammo Master made loading smaller ammo a chore with the longer travel of the arm. Lot more work to load handgun rounds.

Late last year purchased a nice Savage in 6mm Norma BR so decided this would be the time to add a more precise press and went with the Forster Co-Ax. The precision of this press and how it operates is truly amazing. Added the short arm to it as well as the plate that will accept standard shell holders.

Wifey bought me a RCBS Partner press for xmas so decided to set it up just for handgun rounds. Well, after loading up several hundred rounds I just can't use it anymore. It is a fine press, compact and works well but the Co-Ax has totally spoiled me. Tomorrow the Partner is coming off the bench and all the dies will be reset to be used with the Co-Ax.

I thought the sun set and rose around "regular" presses and really liked my RCBS stuff. But if you havent tried a Forster Co-Ax press, well you really need to. Try one then come and join the spoiled clubSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the Co-Ax is a pretty smooth press, isn't it! tu2 I often think of it as the "Mercedes" of reloading presses. Other presses will also get you there, but the Co-Ax surely does so in style!

I have also added the short handle to my Co-Ax and was amazed how much nimbler the press feels with this setup. Originally, I wanted the short handle because of the ball ending, but now I happily give up a bit of leverage just for the feel of the shorter stroke.

The Co-Ax is not for all jobs - there are presses better suited to long cartridges. But for regular size cases, it is my absolute #1!!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I liked the short handle enough that I bought a second Co-Ax so I could have one with each handle length (and the newer one has the longer window opening).

It's a great press for sure................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I can add anything of comparison here because when I was shopping for my first press I came to this web site and asked if a Co-Ax was over kill for someones first press. Not one fellow told me anything bad about the press so this is what I went with. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
(and the newer one has the longer window opening).

Ah, I did not know that. So Forster has enlarged the press (slightly?) in recent times?? That would be an interesting development.

DJ, any chance you could quantify the difference for us??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Not gonna do it...

For single stage I still like my Reading. I'm not sure there's a stronger design anywhere.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
quote:

Ah, I did not know that. So Forster has enlarged the press (slightly?) in recent times?? That would be an interesting development.

- mike

Cant compare old vs new but can tell you that it is easy to get cartridges such as the 375 Ruger in and out of the press. And I already lost 1/4 inch on the bottom going to the shellholder adapter. Press was purchased in December and I am positive it is new stock as Cabelas had it on backorder.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i duno but i load 470's on mine, and it sure ain't new

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new co-ax has the same stroke length and case capacity as before, but it has more room under the handle yoke to clear taller dies.

Mine is the older model, and it is one sweet press!

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You must like screwin' then - all those dies in and out of the press I mean.

Coa-ax is such a nicely designed toy. Wouldn't ever do an O-frame again. I'd like a Redding T-7 just for bench decor but I have a Hdy LNL AP for that Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by Collins:
Not gonna do it...

For single stage I still like my Reading. I'm not sure there's a stronger design anywhere.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It really is the Cadillac of reloading presses.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
So dies aren't screwed in and there are no shell holders...

I just watched a demo on YouTube... Very Very cool. When's Christmas again?

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Buckshot I'll keep my Redding tried yours just don't like the way it works.

Alan

Posts: 6 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 25 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A-bar:
Buckshot I'll keep my Redding tried yours just don't like the way it works.

Alan

I have nothing against the Redding ...I especially like their T-7 and recommend it often.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
quote:

- mike

Mike, what has changed is the height of the top of the 'Y' in the yoke handle. I ordered one from Forster and replaced the existing yoke, which required re-using my existing handle. I may cut the handle down a bit as the whole assembly is now a few inches longer--I compared the two 'yokes' and the newer one is maybe an 1 1/2" taller, didn't really mesure it, but it will clear any die I have now, including the Hornady with the micrometer seater adjustment on them, which is the tallest die that I own...a little tricky getting the pivots out of the main yoke, mine were retatined with set screws, which were easy enough to remove, it was just figuring out how to work the pivots themselves out of the existing yoke on the press that took a little doing, if I was going from scratch, knowing what I know now, I would put a little Kroil on each pivot first, and then start the process....if you order a new handle, PM me and I'll tell you what I ran into...the new handle (and a couple of extra set screws it came with) ran me $50.00

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:
So dies aren't screwed in and there are no shell holders..

True, but.......I found it easier to use the adapter that allows you to use the regular type shellholders. And even though the dies are not screwed in you still need to tighten a set screw to hold them loosely in place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shellholder? Shellholder? We don't got no shellholders. We don't need no stinking shellholders....................

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
The Redding is good for one thing though-decapping!!! I screwed in a universal decap die about 9 years ago and haven't unscrewed it since. But you're right it is a PITA to change shellholders........Wink

The CoAx is the best thing since sliced bread................

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1439 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
And even though the dies are not screwed in you still need to tighten a set screw to hold them loosely in place.

If yours has a set screw there, it needs replacing. A spring-loaded ball tip device is supposed to screw in there. When properly adjusted, the spring loaded ball holds the die lock ring in place while still allowing you to snap the die in and out of the slot.

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone pretty well soaked?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJakeJ1s:
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
And even though the dies are not screwed in you still need to tighten a set screw to hold them loosely in place.

If yours has a set screw there, it needs replacing. A spring-loaded ball tip device is supposed to screw in there. When properly adjusted, the spring loaded ball holds the die lock ring in place while still allowing you to snap the die in and out of the slot.

Andy

Thanks for the tip. Mine does have the spring loaded ball I just didnt realize it!
One less screw to tighten down now, lol.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
Mike, what has changed is the height of the top of the 'Y' in the yoke handle.

..the newer one is maybe an 1 1/2" taller,

Thanks Don, mystery resolved. It is a good thing the new handle offers a bit more clearance, that was a problem with certain (e.g. micrometer) dies in the past.

- mike