New
Find
Notify
Tools

SHOT LOAD DAMAGE ON A REVOLVER
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i was talking to another shooter here in town and he expressed that i should maybe be concerned about damaging my with shot loads. i need more input from some experienced shooters on this. will it hurt the barrel on my beloved model 27? thanks in advance.

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL...........

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, shot loads will not hurt your revolver. Unless you load something like steel air rifle shot (BBs!) [Eek!] That said, you MIGHT pick up some leading, which can easily (?) be removed. And they might require a little extra scrubing on the chamber, to remove powder fouling - depending on the load,FWIW>>>>>>>>>>>>Bug

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the limited use they are intended for ( popping the occasional snake, etc. ) there is no problem.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
tasco 74
Many years ago I played with making shot loads for my 45 Colt, I think George Nonte had written an article in Gun World magazine, that inspired me.
I used a bit of Unique, some stryofoam cup sides as press on wads, some plastic wrap as shot cup, number 8 or 7.5 shot and a hot glue gun.
Had a ball, shooting those loads into a creek to see the shot pattern. It was a donut.
I wouldn't think that this 'shot' round would have been very effective beyond 10-12 feet.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasco 74:
...another shooter ...expressed that i should maybe be concerned about damaging my with shot loads...

Hey Tasco 74, Could you elaborate on his statement a bit more? What kind of "damage" did he think would occur??

[ 10-22-2003, 16:57: Message edited by: Hot Core ]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the general consensus here! I can't see how shooting shot loads could possibly do harm to your barrel!

I have used the Speer shot cups for years with no problems!

I have also seated a gas check on top of the powder, skirt down, then filled with shot and capped it off with another gas check, skirt down! I've used this method with .357mag and 44mag! They all work very well, but only at short distances!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Either he is ignorant about the topic, or is confusing the effect of steel shot on old shotgun barrels.

Shot loads cannot damage a modern revolver (assuming no overloads or stupidity).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey tasco, I wouldn't worry about it either. I have heard the same old "warning" from the uninformed for years. Like said above, lead shot only.

I bought a T/C Contender in '71 and it came with a .357 choke tube barrel. I shot hundreds of various shot loads through it, including those made up in a .357 case from cardboard wadding with no shot cup. I basically left the choke tube on and it was my hand-shotgun until later, when I got the .410 barrel for it.

When I got the new .410 barrel, I finally unscrewed the .357's choke tube and cleaned the bore. It was awful, and the rifling couldn't be seen at all. Powder, lead, plastic, mouse droppings, cobwebs . . . Once cleaned, accuracy was fine with handloaded .357 magnum ammo. The bore appeared ot be perfectlt normal. Then, when the .357 Maximum came out, I had the same barrel reamed to take the longer cartridge. I shot groups with the Max out to 100 yards and it shot extremely well, R-P factory loads going into 3-4". Still have it, still shoots OK. I would say that IF shot loads would damage the rifling, mine would have been ruined with the abuse.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted Hide Post
I was interested in playing around with loading a shot load for my sig 220 but was worried about what shot would do to a rifled barrel.

but everyone seems to think its not an issue.
guess its time to pick up that book I saw with the "how-to" in it.

not that I plan on using it for anything but to play around with...

Posts: 201 | Location: NJ, USA | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for all the replies guys.. hot core all the guy said was "little hard on the barrel ain't it?" i only use lead shot and medium powder charges in speer shot capsules.all the shots i've done on possums were within 3ft to make sure enough of the shot gets to the vitals for a quick kill. i have day dreamed about shooting clays one time tho.

one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
With a barrel over about 2 to 3" you can look forward to the "doughnut" effect. The shot takes on the spin of the rifling and, well, you can figure it out.

I use a 357 case loaded with a little bullseye, followed by a gas check or card wad, and as much # 9 or 12 shot as will fit. Top off with another gas check crimped on. I shoot it in a .38 Spl. 2" barreled, 2 barrel derringer.

Great for snakes at >10'. If they're farther away, I don't need to shoot them.

Shooting Trap with a pistol may be real fun, especially for the audience. [Big Grin]

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
<chevota>
posted
I use the Speer empty shot capsules to load my own. You can load them as long as will fit in the gun, then experiment with heavier charges of powder. Factory shotshell loads are very weak.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasco 74:
...the guy said was "little hard on the barrel ain't it?" i only use lead shot and medium powder charges in speer shot capsules...

Hey Tasco 74, Occasionally we all run into someone who is questioning something where his experience is limited. I'd suspect the guy either had no idea what he was talking about, or perhaps he was actually curious concerning your experience with them.

I can see where using Steel Shot and no Shot Capsule could wear the edges of the rifling. But most people thinking their way through what occurs during the firing sequence will realize that.

Like the other folks, I(and some of my hunting buddies) have used the Shot Capsules for a very long time with ZERO problems. I'm guessing that I've used them since about 1975 (+/-a year or two). Most of the ones I have used were fired through a 6" 357Mag that was purchased in 1980. Just looked at it again, and the barrel looks great.

Granted, I may only fire 3-12 Shot Capsules a year, so it may have had 200 or so through it. I seriously doubt I've shot them over 6 feet from the muzzle, so I can't comment on the doughnut pattern the other folks mention. If the snake is farther away than that, I either get closer or let it go.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote