New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Question About Double Rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Remember - you would (I think) also see signs of over pressure on the fired cases themselves. Loose primer pockets, brass deformations ect. This is a thread by Charlie Sisk on visible pressure signs - not all are visable!

Pressure Signs

one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

Quote:

you should have decided not to post words/ideas/experiences etc either!

According to many here I has already done what you state, with the exception of posting words that is. Besides that, the instant Saeed asks me to leave I will. To date it hasn't happened.

Perhaps I will post one more picture. A picture of my number one hog rifle. This rifle has killed hundreds, if not thousands, of hogs. Jeffeosso should really appreciate that, being that he is such a devote hog hunter!

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you'll lay off the Jim Beam your memory will return.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Difficulty OPENING it to reload!

one of us
posted Hide Post
First off, I do not have a Double Rifle of any kind. Just want you to know I'm not speaking from "having a Double experience".

Quote:

What are the signs of excessive pressure loads in a double rifle?...

If you are a person who chooses to use Pressure Ring Expansion(PRE), then an "Excessive Pressure Handload Load" would be one that has a higher PRE than a factory cartridge.

Depending on the internal case design and SAAMI Pressure, Case Head Expansion(CHE) might not work until the upper Pressure Limit has been exceeded.

But, PRE works all the time, every time, on any cartridge that has ever been made.

---

Using PRE with recommended Loads from credible sources is what I would use.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

But, PRE works all the time, every time, on any cartridge that has ever been made. Using PRE with recommended Loads from credible sources is what I would use.

Except for the fact that there are TONS OF OLD DOUBLES out there for obsolete, no longer obtainable factory cartridges, so there is nothing to fire for a standard for using this method!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,

With PRE would I measure vertically or horizontally? I ask this because vertically (as oriented in the rifle's chamber) I will include the extractor deflection. Horizontally it would be only the chamber.

eldeguello,

The case heads are bent relative to the long axis of the case. As MacD37 correctly pointed out this has to do with THIN BRASS. This particular brass is very stinking thin and just cannot be reloaded! This sucks as now I must REDO all my load development with some other manufacturer's thicker brass (Bertram being first choice as they are USUALLY thicker than hell). It is a sickening feeling when the barrels won't easily open after firing, I can attest to that!

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote