Find
Notify
Tools

Powder for 9mm and .45acp?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
I have been using Unique for my 45acp loads for about a year but have noticed the odd one with less than normal power. I don't think it is metering quite so well through my measure. I'll weigh the charges and they are fairly consistant until the odd one drops short. Last week at a steel shoot halfway through a course one went pop and I swear I could see it fly through the air and I had to rack the slide by hand. I used WSF before this and had very consistant velocity and good accuracy (little dirty) but now I'm reloading a 9mm and would like a powder more sutable for both that isn't as fluffy as Unique. I'm concidering Bullseye, any suggestions?

By the way these are for lead cast target loads. 45acp, 230gr @ 780fps. The 9 is new and haven't really settled on a load but it will be most likely 100fps under top velocity.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Accurate #2 for most of my handgun rounds. Works great in 38/357, 9mm, 44Mag, 45ACP, and a lot of others. It's a ball powder, burns clean with low pressure, and meters like water.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
For the best metering, I would go w/ AA#2 or AA#5. I use alot of Unique & you do have to be a bit more carefull. AA#5 is close to the same burn rate as Unique.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
W-231 for both the 9mm and the 45ACP.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of possibilities for medium performance rounds ... #5 is good. Winchester SuperField is good too (and it is magic for high performance 40 S&W.)

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if unique isn't metering right, bullseye isn't going to either, they're both similar flakes. try such things as AA 5 or 7, 231, titegroup etc., ball powders measure verey well.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
if unique isn't metering right, bullseye isn't going to either, they're both similar flakes

That's enough to make me worry. The Bullseye I have is nothing like Unique flakes. It looks more like my WSF. Kind of semi flattened ball powder no where near as "fluffy" as Unique.

What the hell do I have.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote