Find
Notify
Tools

Another seating depth question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of skid2964
posted
I have read that a bullets must be seated a full caliber or at least 2/3 of that. I have two TC 6.5mm TCU barrels with throats so long I cannot seat the bullet anywhere near the rifeling. So I seated them .100" into the case. But I started thinking, if I'm already .130" to .150" off the lands, what will another .100" hurt? Should I make my ammo less fragile and go ahead and seat the bullets deeper based on the thinking above?

Posts: 151 | Location: Brandon, Mississippi, USA | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing in a long throated 30-06 with 125gr balistic tips. The 100yd accuracy with almost NO bullet in the case was great,..BUT after that it fell apart horribly by 300yds. I have not gotten back to seating them deeper yet,..but would venture a guess that longer range accuracy would improve greatly as it has shown it will shoot 1/2moa at 100yds already, so the barrel is good.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience with varmint bullets both the -06 and 300 Win has taught me that -the faster you drive them, the better off you will be. The best 30 calibre varmint bullet I've used thus far has been the Berger. The 185 grain LTB/VLD will get ur done as far as one can see to shoot.