Find
Notify
Tools

45 auto rim with 255- 260 grain cast bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted
I'm reaching out to see if anyone here has a good load for the heavier bullets. I have been shooting alot of 230 grain fmj but want to try some of my 45 Colt bullets in my 625 Smith.
Im looking for around 850-900 fps if possible. I have a great selection of powders to choose from so I thought I'd check here before I go wasting components.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
start at 4.5grs. of unique and work up... slowly.
850 might be stretching things a bit, but 800 should be doable.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
The Speer manual number 11 (from 1987) has loads for the 45 Auto Rim including their 255 gr lead SWC and 260 gr jacketed bullets on pages 432 and 433. Send me a PM if you would like a photo of those pages.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Brian Pearce did an article on +P .45 Auto Rim cartridges. Looks like Long Shot and Power Pistol are your friends.
https://www.handloadermagazine.com/45-auto-rim-p

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I have encountered a very widw variation on powders and charges. Speer #8 has some scary looking loads.
I tried 700X and hit just over 900 with no pressure signs in my revolver. Easy extraction and excellent accuracy, that was froman old book as well.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I tried 700X and hit just over 900 with no pressure signs in my revolver. Easy extraction and excellent accuracy, that was froman old book as well.

Looks like you found a load.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote