New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 wby brass question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Don't claim to have a phd in reloading but not exactly a dummy either. With that said how much difference would there be in mixing weatherby brass and Remington? Trying to get a full box of 20 loaded. Both shot from same rifle, more interested in accuracy, I think with the 300 velocity is not a concern. Mainly deer and hog hunting!

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 607 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the world of hyper accuracy, mixing brands is a huge no-no. In practicality, the answer is "it depends". the only real way you can find out is to shoot them. try sorting them by weight. Or you can fire cull them.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What he said; weigh them with and without water and you will know the volume in water. If they are different, and they probably will be, don't 'mix them. Shoot them all of a make, together.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My experience is that the remington brass will use 1 to 2 grains less of powder than the weatherby brass. Remington brass has less volume because of it being thicker.

Posts: 9 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OkieNewton:
how much difference would there be in mixing weatherby brass and Remington?

Alot. Do as DPCD suggests. Do not use data developed in older WBY brass with RP brass.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...341051091#4341051091

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once, just to see, I took 10 pieces of WW brass and 10 pieces of Rem brass and loaded them up with the same components. The WW brass was considerably lighter than the Rem stuff.
I put them in a sack and shook them up and made blind draws from the sack and shoot them as they came.
At 100 yards, shooting from a bench, the 20 rounds made a fairly even 3" group. Certainly deadly out to 200-300 yards. To a fellow that shoots a lot and/or spends a lot of time in AR, a 3" group is an abomination. But to a fellow that is only interested in killing something, it'll getter done.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all, will probably give the wby brass to a friend of mine. Most of mine are Remington. He gave me some factory ammo a while back. Thanks again!

Posts: 607 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
87.5 grains in Weatherby case versus 85.4 grains in a Remington case gives about the same velocity with my powder using Fed 215 primers. Reduce at least 2 grains for RP cases.

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I often load different weights of the same bullet, so I'll load each weight bullet in a different brand of case.

For example, I load both 168 and 180 grain Barnes TTSX bullets for my .300 Weatherby. I then load the 168s in R-P cases and the 180s in Weatherby cases.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
80 grains 0f 4831 is the load I use. Been using the partition and no complaints at all. Was given a box of Barnes ttsx in 180 gr. Might s well see how my rifle likes them.