THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    What are critical factors in figuring out powder substitution?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are critical factors in figuring out powder substitution?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bruce in WV
posted
Like many of us, I have more bullets than powder available to load them as I shoot my stash of reloads.
I want to substitute powders on the shelf for ones I run out of.

Question: what are the critical factors in choosing a substitute powder NOT listed in the loading manuals for a powder that IS in the loading manuals? Variables commonly available are case capacity, powder burn rate, powder type, and bullet weight/diameter/ballistic coefficient.

Is there a SAFE way for a person unskilled in internal ballistics to figure out how to do this?

Case in point: powders available - BL-C(2) and TAC, desired use - 140gr SP in 6.5x55 Swede
EX: There is load data for H380 in 6.5x55 Swede for a similar 140gr bullet; H380 is right next to BL-C(2) on the burn rate chart, case, primer, etc are all similar. Can I drop back the H380 data 10% and use that data as a starting point for the BL-C (2)?
Harder EX: there is load data for a similar 140gr bullet for TAC in 308 Win. Case capacity is very close, same primer, bore diameter .308 vs .264, same powder. What percentage of the 308 load is a safe starting point for developing a 6.5x55 Swede load?

Is the methodology: (1) find a case of similar case capacity, preferably in the same bullet diameter; (2) find load data for same weight bullet for the substitute powder; (3) identify experimental starting load x% below listed data?

(That faint noise you probably hear in the background is qualified ballisticians screaming at their computer screens!)

Posts: 87 | Location: West Virginia, USA | Registered: 03 November 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You can find powder burn rate tables on the Net.

They can help you decide.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Saeed is right. And the "qualified" ballisticians will be silent because what you suggest is the way to do it. Pick a powder with a known result; substitute one as close as you can get on the burn rate chart. Safest on the slow side. Start ten percent low. Or find a load for a heavier bullet with the powder you have. Lots of ways to skin this cat. Now, don't stray too far from the one you have firm data for. The deal is off then.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your on the right path with your first example. Your second example has the potential to get you in trouble. Don’t tread there.

Here is a good resource that discusses what you are attempting to do.

Burn Rate Chart

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Also, the QuickLOAD interior and exterior ballistics software can be useful. It costs about $150, IIRC. If used properly, it can be helpful in choosing powders and determining rough powder equivalencies.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Saeed is right. And the "qualified" ballisticians will be silent because what you suggest is the way to do it. Pick a powder with a known result; substitute one as close as you can get on the burn rate chart. Safest on the slow side. Start ten percent low. Or find a load for a heavier bullet with the powder you have. Lots of ways to skin this cat. Now, don't stray too far from the one you have firm data for. The deal is off then.

This

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
I would NOT use a load from a caliber that is a larger bore than the cartridge you are using. ie, .308 to 6.5.
I would however use a load that was a close caliber to the one you have on hand. ie, 6.5 Jap to 6.5 Carcano. A case capacity close to the one your working up to as well.
I've done this too many times to list over my 57 years of reloading. With a little common sense you can find a very safe starting load and work up.
Remember not to "underload" the cartridge as this can be as bad or even worse than a too hot load.
All of the answers above are good to know info.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
going down in diameter doesn't work so well.

going up does, but the smaller diameter barrels will generally use a much slower powder to compensate for the pressure rise.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Load density and burn rate will be two of the most significant factors if what you are trying to do is find a substitute that is a close duplicate.
Research and having alot of data from different sources will definitely be important.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
In the examples you provided you can find developed and tested loads on Hodgdon.com and go to reloading data. All the powder manufacturers have data sites like that.

Start with data developed on a ballistic lab before you go looking for other sources.

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why do we make things difficult and create our own problems, Use a "Reloading book", forget the substitution...The only real substitution I have found is H414 and WW760 as they are the same powder in a different container..H and IMR are close in some powders but no ceeegar! The book has powder burning rate, but that just about worthlesss in most cases, the load data is where the answers are.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I think he can't find any of the powders listed in his books. It's a sign of this year.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I 've reloaded obscure calibers where load data is very dated, from a time when fins on cars were a big thing. I wouldn't trust any powder amounts mentioned in the reloading manuals of that time. If I can find a cartridge of a similar size using both powders, I note the relationship between them , bit slower, or bit faster. More data I could find, the more secure I was in my starting load. Here is where a Chrony is a necessity. While they are not the best pressure guage, they are by far the best we have. I look for my expected velocity. I don't trust case head expansion, I have one brand of cases so soft they, the primer pocket expand after only three reloads. Where as another brand goes 20 and never expands. Same, Same.