Notify
Tools

Duplex loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted
Hi,

I experimented with duplex loads for the first time this weekend. I had some great results but now I'm wondering do you put the slower burning powder first next to the primer or the faster burning powder. I had the slower one first next to the primer with good results but was wondering if it needs to be in a certain order

Safari-Hunt

www.Safari-Hunt.com

Posts: 2549 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
SAFARI-HUNT,
Duplex and triplex loads were the rage about forty years ago. Eventually enough firearms were ruined and people hurt that it seemed to have died a well deserved natural death. Partner, please don't play that game. If your rifle is not giving you something you think you should have, trade it in on another rifle with a cartridge that will. Everything about your rifle is intended to function at a certain range of pressure. If you want more of something your rifle won't give you, duplex loads won't do it either. IT'S JUST NOT WORTH THE RISK. [Eek!] [Cool] [Eek!]

one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Safari Hunt, you need to put the faster powder next to the primer when duplexing. It makes a sort of mega magnum primer and lights up the slow powder in a hurry.
But like Big Bob says, don't do it. You are creating a new load with a much faster burning rate and pressure you have no real control over, it is just asking for trouble.
Duplexing with a fast burning smokeless powder has its place in Black Powder Cartridge rifles, but not to increase performance, it is to reduce fouling in the barrel. It is a safe practice PROVIDING you follow the rules.

[ 06-16-2002, 10:33: Message edited by: HiWall ]

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Thanx all I will leave the duplex loading to the professionals. I did some more realoding this weekend but without any duplex loads and was satisfied.

I mean 50 fps difference isn't that big anyway.

Safari-Hunt

www.Safari-Hunt.com

Posts: 2549 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Originally the term "duplex loading" was coined by Elmer Keith, Charles O'Neil and Don Hopkins. It was a system of loading cartridges with one kind of powder, but igniting the charge at or near the front. The primer flash was conducted to the front by a flash tube inserted into the flash hole. This system supposedly gave normal velocities with less powder and pressure, or higher velocities with normal pressures. The big pain was the flash tubes. They sometimes broke or were shot out of the case, in any event they were too much trouble to use for the little gain they yielded. The idea was revived for a while in the 50's by Rocky Gibbs.

Posts: 179 | Location: Westbrook, Maine | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Safari-Hunt,

Duplex and triplex loads are the shortest way to blow up your gun. Stay away from it. And use nowadays powders.

Ask to Dick Casull how many Colt SAA he blew up with triplex loads before to find the good one [Wink]

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BER007:
Safari-Hunt,

Duplex and triplex loads are the shortest way to blow up your gun. Stay away from it. And use nowadays powders.

Ask to Dick Casull how many Colt SAA he blew up with triplex loads before to find the good one [Wink]

AMEN, Ber. Duplex loading is NOT smart. I once did it and the results were terrifyingly erratic. Never again. [Eek!]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote