New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 REM loading problems
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am loading 52gr Berger MEF's for my .223 and when they come out of the press and i put a little force one the nose of the bullet, it will pop into the case. None of the other bullets i load for do this. I make sure that the length with a comparator is identical to the other loads, but it still seems to push back into the case. What can i do to fix this problem?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
YOu must have just necked sized your case....

Is this the first time you had done necksizing? and the Bergers just happened to be the bullet you were loading?

I'd resize my brass again... It is a little larger in the neck than it should be evidently.....

Or are the bullets 223 diameter instead of 224?

just some thoughts.....

seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
What sizing die do you use?

What is the measured diameter of your bullet?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im FL sizing them, and ive sized them a couple times just to make sure, but it still happens.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like the bullets are 223 bore instead of 224 bore, or else your neck on your brass was neck turned too much.....

it is evident the diameter of the bullet and the diameter on the bore of the brass are not the same size......

should be easy to find a solution.. or try some other brass....

on your sizing die.. are you tightening it all the way down.... lower the ram until the sizing die contacts the ram.. them screw the die down a little more.... sounds to me that you are not sizing the case all the way down, because your die is still too high... happened to me several times.... homer

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe youe expander ball is to large?

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey RemLover, Take 3 cases and Resize them as you normally do without the Expander in the Die.

Then put the Expander back in and just touch it against the Casemouth enough to slightly Flare the inside of the Casemouth.

Then do your Seating as you normally would do.

If that fixes the concern, you can easily purchase a new Expander and polish it down with some Crocus cloth 0.001" at a time until you get the exact size you need.

Or continue the previous process of removing the Expander during Resizing, putting it back in and Flaring the Casemouth.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Hyrlik:
What sizing die do you use?

Ditto

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks alot ive got it working now. The the brass wasnt going far enough into the die to size the neck correctly. Thanks for all your help.