Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to anneal?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ray Spencer
posted
What is the best way and hopefully easiest way to anneal brass at home? Thanks in advance.

Ray

Posts: 68 | Location: Caldwell, Id. | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
The "best" way is not always the most expedient. The commercial carousel machines are the best, and most precise way, of annealing. They are also expensive.
That said, I get completely satisfactory results with just a propane torch and a 3# coffee can full of ice water. I also do it in low-light conditions so as to better see color change. I also watch the flame color as much as the case neck color.
For probably all you will ever need to know, go to:
6mmBR

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Hornady annealing kit works well.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you hold the case head between your finger and thumb you won't over heat it. A soft case head is a bomb. If you want accuracy and repeatability use Temp-Lac.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ray Spencer
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, seems like I need to do a few of my 300WSM case necks. I appreciate all the input.

Ray

Posts: 68 | Location: Caldwell, Id. | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate annealing.
I buy tight neck, no turn reamers.
I have the FL dies necks honed out at Forster.

What does it all mean?
I have a non annealing lifestyle.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to kneel now I stand , it's a knee problem !.
A good friend who has been doing it near forever picked up a small old spinning table similar to a potters wheel except much much lighter and smaller Dia. . I have no Idea as what it's original use was . It has a variable speed drive .
He uses a pan off water sets the cases up right about a inch or so in depth . Turns it on adjust the speed fires up his propane torch rest it on old lathe steady rest I gave him . BINGO !, works real well . Fairly fast to .

We had talked about going in on a Ken Light commercial machine he then came up with this substitute . As he reloads for SO MANY different Calibers , even Some Real off the wall foreign military stuff . Annealing is essential for him , as some of that Brass is MIGHTY PRICEY as well as SCARCE .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote