New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 ruger and 350tsx?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just ordered mine and looking for some experienced guys using this round. Any input on loads that have worked for you would be awesome!

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the 20" Ruger Alaskan stainless in .416 Ruger. Shot an eland bull with the 350 TSX at 2500 feet per second using 77.2 grains AA2520 with the TSX seated to 3.330" o.a.l. for 2511 feet per second in my rifle. Very accurate load. The 350 grain Barnes banded flat nose solids have a lower coefficient of friction so I backed off the load a bit to 76.2 grains of AA 2520 and shot a group off the bench at 100 yards. Two rounds of TSX and two rounds of the wide meplat solids shout into a 7/8 inch group. I was using Win large mag primers. the TSX load was as stated above 3.330 oal and the 350 flat point Barnes solid was seated to 3.310" O.A.L.

I really like AA2520 for the 350 TSX and the 400 TSX as they give very good groups and produce adequate velocity for my needs but I haven't been able to find that powder in over a year. Hence, I left the .416 Ruger home and took my .458 win mag. to SSG at Malapati last hunt and killed two nice Cape buff bulls with the 450 TSX.

Since I have been home I have begun working up loads with Ramshot Tac and I like it quite a bit and it may be just as accurate as AA2520 but I can't say for sure yet.

One commentn on the Eland. The first shot was on the shoulder at 150 yards. Turned out to have been a heart shot. The bull jumped straight up in the air and kicked his hind legs as if to kick a predator. He then walked in a small circle, laid down, and died. The insurance shot at 25 yards was in the neck. Neither bullet was recovered in the skinning shed but neither bullet made it to the hide on the off side because I looked. Hence, I'm not sure how the bullet penetrated and if I use the rifle on buffalo this season (safari begins Sept. 7th and I again have two buffalo bulls on quota) I may opt for the 400 grain TSX at 2265 feet per second with 71 grains of Varget (compressed load) or 69.3 grains of TAC with a Fed GM215M primer and 3.324 OAL as either will shoot an inch in my rifle from a bench rest.

By the way, I set my dies to produce a medium heavy roll crimp so the bullets stay where I seat them during recoil.

I hope that help you with your own load work up. I would try Nosler but I have never been able to get them to shoot as well as Barnes TSX. As for Hornady GDX factory stuff, I have never tried. it. However, Ishmael (My PH at Malapati Safari Area in 2013 mentioned that if I had brought Hornady GDX he would have asked me to leave them in camp and hunt buffalo with solids only. He didn't explain but apparently had some bad results with Hornady GDX on buffalo. He did say that he didn't like any of the plastic tipped bullets.
Regards,
Jay

"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else."

Posts: 105 | Location: Looking for the Southern Cross | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote