Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x57 286 gr Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I wanted to share some data that I worked up for my 9.3x57. I know load info is sparse for this cartridge, so hope this helps.

First, the disclaimer. Start below the loads below and work-up. Check speeds and cases.

My rifle is a 1930's German guild rifle built on a M98 action, not a M96. It has a light profile 24" barrel. And it's 6.5" pounds and iron sights. It kicks a bit!

My base comparison is Norma factory ammo loaded with 286 gr Alaska bullets. Published factory fps is 2,067 (I never checked). The Norma factory load showed a slight bulge at the base of the case. My goal was to match factory published specs and not exceed the case bulging of the factory ammo.

Load Info:
Brass: Norma
Bullets: Woodleigh 286 gr RNSN (use the Woodleigh PPSN for 9.3x62 and above)
Powder: IMR-4064
Primer: CCI-200 LR
COL: 3.035" w/crimp
FPS: Measured at chronograph at 10 ft from barrel

48 gr - 2,133 fps to 2,168 fps spread on 4 rounds, case bulge more than factory Norma
**** 47 gr - 2,085 fps - on 4 rounds (exact same fps on each), case bulge equal to or less than factory Norma
46 gr - 2,003 fps to 2,019 fps on 3 rounds
45 gr - 1,974 fps - 1 round

I settled on the 47 gr load. Obivously, check loads with different lots of the same powder.

I saved the remaining 46 and 45 gr rounds to shoot at some hogs that weekend.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I have used 41.0 grains of AA2460 behind a Prvi 285 for years. I use this in my Husqvarna M46's. Easily capable of 1" groups with the iron sights.

For my 146's I will use a stiffer load of RL15.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote