New
Find
Notify
Tools

270win RL22 Works !
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got a chance to try thr RL22 in my custom 270.
I have been loading for 20 plus years and I was very suprised when my custom model 70 shot so poorly with H-4831.
Last week breaking in the barrel I was dissapointed, when the best 3 shot group was 1.5 inches at 100 with 3 different bullets. I went home and free floated the barrel,
And loaded a little closer to the lands. I also loaded some rounds with RL-22. Back at the range the 4831 showed no improvment at all 2 3 shot groups nether beat 2.25.
Then I fired 6 roundswith the RL-22 57 grains under a 130 grain b-Tip Nosler. Discounting 1 called flyer I had 5 into 1.3 inches. The most encouraging thing were the 3 into .55 inches. I was shooting off a wooden bench with wood blocks and carpet scraps for a rest.
I am sure a better bench and sand bags would tighten things uo some. I plan to up the charge to 58 grains and go to another range where I can test the boone and crocket reticle at 200 & 300 yards...tj3006

Posts: 129 | Location: Portland oregon | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, all you have done is prove once again that different rifles like different components. I too, have had very good luck with RL 22 in a couple of 270 Winchester rifles.

However, my dad has a new 270 Winchester in a Remington 700KS Mountain Rifle out of the Remington custom shop. It clearly shoots best with H 4831. RL 22 was ok, but H 4831 was better with a couple of different bullet weights.

Then again, I worked up loads last year for a fellow at work and his 270 Winchester shot really great with IMR 4350.
You just have to try stuff and see what they like.

The real reason I am posting this is to say that my dad put one of the new Leupold 4.5 X 14 Long Range scopes with the Boone and Crockett reticle in it on his gun and it really works!! We went to a location recently where we have a gong placed at a measured 400 yards. It is about 18 inches in diameter. My dad took a rest and by using the 400 yard line on that new reticle he was able to center punch that gong at 400 yards every time!! Not just hit it, but put his bullets right near the center every time. That new reticle really works.

Get yourself some better rests and have fun.

By the way, my dad is shooting 130 grain Nosler Partitions and he has shot several wild hogs with it already. Boy, does it put them on the ground.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
how many shots through your barrel so far?

When I got my custom 30.06 back with a Pac-Nor barrel, it took about 40 rounds before anything impressed me. Now it shoots MOA with a bunch of stuff.

Did you try IMR4831?

My .270's love Re22 and Re19.

My brother has a PacNor on his 270, I have a Hart. both guns have same length barrel. With same primer, brass, and bullet, (Nos. 130 B-Tip), Mine liked Re22, His liked H4831.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the posts.
My 270 is a PAC-NOR also. Its ona ore 64 feather weight model 70. I think I will be happy with the load I put in her today. The load is 130 grain Nosler B-tip over 58 grains of RL-22 with win-Brass and Federal Match primers. My Scope is the 2.5X8 VX3 with the boone & crocket reticle.
If I can get aconsitant .75nches and a velocity of about 1050 fps,(thats perfect velocity for te boone and crocket) I will be satisfied for deer antilope. black bear and such. If I ever go after caribu , I might switch to the 130 grain tripple shock barnes...tj3006

Posts: 129 | Location: Portland oregon | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TJ, could you do me a favor please?

Like I said in my other post my dad has the 4.5 X 14 Leupold Long Range scope. I am considering buying one of the 2.5 X 8 scopes like you have for my 300 Wby Mag. It wears a 2.5 X 8 Leupold now but just has the standard duplex reticle.

Could you look at your scope and tell me where the diamonds that you use for the Boone and Crockett reticle are located on the power ring? That is, could you tell me at what power those little white diamonds are located?

Thanks, R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The big Diamond is at about the 8 power mark and the small one is at the 6. I think i will like the set up just fine. You might do well to consider having your 2.5X8 set up with a custom reticle from Premier reticles. Not to say its a better unit but they can set one up for your load and its a lot cheaper than Buying a hole new scope. My scope was 460.00, and I think Premier charges somthing like 120.00 for the conversion, and leupold will still honer the warentee.
...tj3006

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yah, every rifle likes its own thing. Mine is not a custom, and it is most certainly the most finicky of my rifles, but RL22 with 150 grain interlocks is where it is. No more flyers and it is a solid 1" 5 shot gun. I wanted to rebuild it since I haven't seen screamer groups in my other rifles until I did go custom, but I don't think it is worth the price when I have a 1" gun. Also, I'm sure you know, but many guys have gone to 60 grains of RL22 with the 130 grain bullets, but the stuff is so inconsistant your lot may not let you do that (buy a few pounds from the same lot). I am using 57.5 grains RL22 with the 150 grain bullets. I'm stating the obvious, but just watch for pressure signs.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I have several friends who own products from Premier Reticle and they are quite happy with them, I might have to consider that option.

R F

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the Premier reticle system for a few years now. It works quite well and is the best I've seen yet.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote