Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Annealing Cases
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted
That's been the good old standard method for a long time, and we know it works. I'm still curious about the lead method, though. I'd thought of the "tinning" problem as a likely complication. I wonder what'd be a good "anti-flux" to keep it from sticking? A dried film of soap, perhaps?

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had no problems with lead sticking to the case - without applying any agent to it. But this may be different with a different kind of brass.

http://wildcatshooting.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

I think I'll fire up the pot in a bit and give it a try. I've got a bunch of .30-06s that won't hold a bullet in the neck after sizing, without a crimp. If I mess 'em up, I'm not out anything!

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Most guys don't have any trouble with tinning but a couple have told me they dip the necks in graphite to prevent it.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Good idea, if needed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to go to the hassle of annealing your brass yourself (I do mine after each 3 reloads) you might try Arizona Ammunition in Phoenix, AZ. I think the website is www.AZAmmo.com They do a variety of things that are accuracy oriented and they are very inexpensive. I've used them several times when I get a back-log of cases that need work. I produce pretty good cases but no matter how careful I am I can't approach the quality of their work especially with respect to basically no run-out.

As an example I was running short of time befor a hunt and I was still trying to get my Noslers and solids to have the same point-of-impact so I didn't really have time to work the cases so I sent 100 3x fired cases to them....they annealed them, neck-sized, trimmed, champfered, and polished them and them returned them in two new 50-round MTM boxes. It took less than a week and it was so inexpensive I wonder why I ever do it myself as it is so nice to just prime, add powder and seat the bullet and then go shoot.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I loaded up my Lee pot to the top with wheelweight metal, turned the thermostat all the way up and waited till it stabilized. Dipped each case neck and shoulder in it for 15 seconds. Looks like they annealed nicely, the color change is just like the military brass. Some lead did stick to them, and I had to take steel wool to get sit off the first ones. Found I could hold a steel wool ball in one gloved hand and give each case neck a quick twist in it as it came out of the pot with the lead still motlen. Eliminated that problem. I'll likely get some loaded up tomorrow, but can't shoot this weekend, I'm working.