Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Barnes "Original" Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

..."I recovered two;A 6.5 fired from a Carcano and a 70gr. 224 fired from a 22-250. Both were between the meat and the skin on the far side. The 22 was a perfect mushroom with not much weight loose.The 6.5 had just a little mushrooming but great penatration for that slow velocity."

Hey Roger, Can you share a few more details about those shots?

1. Approximate distance to the game?

2. Angle of Entry?

3. Approximate Impact Velocity?

I certainly don't doubt your word, just curious about why they didn't Exit. Any ideas in that regard?

From Bill:
Quote:

I consider these my premium premium bullets.

That says it all.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MidwayUSA has them on special. Solids also.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found them too thick up front..They worked great up close to about 100 yards, after that they would not open up in all the calibers I used them in....they had a web type lump in the front end to slow down expansion...

I don;t miss any of those bullets of yesteryear, they all failed from time to time, every damn one of them with perhaps the exception of the round nose Remington Corelokt and thats a maybe, thats all nostalgia and BS, none of them even compared to todays premium bullets.

Posts: 41998 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
At least one Original has continued to be available in most calibers, usually the heaviest one in each caliber. There are quite a few still made in .458, generally .45/70 bullets. Two of these, the 300 and 400 grain semispitzers, have very high B.C.'s. For example the B.C. of the 400 grainer is .389, giving a pretty flat trajectory for a .45/70 when launched at over 2200 FPS. Flatter than a .30/30, for example. I have been using the 400 grain semispitzer for over 20 years, and the design has seemed to remain the same, being made from copper tubing closed at one end, still showing a small hole in the center of the base.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...those bullets of yesteryear, they all failed from time to time, every damn one of them with perhaps the exception of the round nose Remington Corelokt and thats a maybe, thats all nostalgia and BS, none of them even compared to todays premium bullets.

Believe it!

And if any of you find any boxes of these unworthy Barnes Originals in .224, .257 90gr preferably, 7's, and 308's laying about please feel free to send me a PM. There not worth much and you wouldn't like them anyway. Honest.

Bill

Posts: 134 | Location: So CA | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buckeye,

I'm curious which cartridge(s) do you load with your 250gr .308's?

Bill

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have many of these in my bullet supply. Selection has been cut back with the advent of the X bullet.
.308 250 gr.
.458 300 gr.
.458 600 gr.
.475 600 gr.
.510 300 gr.
.510 450 gr.

Most of these are still in production, except the 600 .475-- in performance they double diameter in expansion and hold together extremely well at short ranges. I use them for heavy game at ranges to 200 yards. The .510 and .458 diameters I use in lever guns, the design of these projectiles feeds well and is safe for tube mags.

Posts: 5710 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is Barnes re-introducing their Original bullets?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I found them too thick up front..They worked great up close to about 100 yards, after that they would not open up in all the calibers I used them in....they had a web type lump in the front end to slow down expansion...

Interesting. I'm not aware of them being too thick up front in the 3-4 calibers I used, but that is an interesting observation. I'm also unaware of the "web type lump". I believe the ones I've used were just copper tubing of various wall thicknesses.

Quote:

I don;t miss any of those bullets of yesteryear, they all failed from time to time, every damn one of them with perhaps the exception of the round nose Remington Corelokt and thats a maybe, thats all nostalgia and BS, none of them even compared to todays premium bullets.

I've never had what I consider was a "Bullet Failure" and I know Mr. Ray and I don't take the same kind of shots on Game. I do see a whole lot about claimed Bullet Failure even with todays Bullets though.

I always liked the Remington bullets too, especially the "real old" RNs when they were still "Wasp-Wasted". Todays Rem PLHPs(PLated Hollw Points) are the absolutely most accurate inexpensive bullets I've ever shot. Excellent on Varmints too(which is all I've used them on.

Also agree there is a mind boggling wealth of Premium Bullets being made today. At the same time, due to what I've seen with the original 35cal Fred Barnes Bullets I have, they are what I'd reach for if I ever had the opportunity to go for an Elk or any of the BIG Brown Bears and not feel improperly prepared in any way.

---

And of course, I'd never drag a "Bore Snake" through one of my barrels. Just as soon use a well rope.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote