New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloads for the 7X65R
 Login/Join

posted
Greetings,

I wonder if one or more of you possibly has some experience in reloading the 7 X 65R it is basically a rimmed version of the 7 X 64 Brenneke.

The rifle in question is a combination rifle (over and under) 12 Gauge and 7 X 65R. The break open action isn't as strong as a bolt action so I'd like to hear what you'd recommend.

The powder I was thinking of using is Somchems S335 medium burning powder recommended for the 7X64 Brenneke and 7X57 Mauser.

Thanks

Posts: 11 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 05 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Can you obtain a Somchem manual? I have one courtesy of Suburban Guns (Capetown).

Listed load for 7x64 Brenneke starts as follows:

S335 : [ SAKO cases / CCI 200 primer] 130 gr PMP SP / 47,9 grains (start); 152 gr PMP SP / 45,1 grains (start); 170 gr PMP SP / 43,7 grains (start)

My PH's 7x64 load is CCI 200 with 53 grains S365 and 160 grain Sierra's. My own "likes" H4831SC better with 160 grainers and RWS brass. (The .280 does best with 140-grainers and IMR 4350, BTW, which is closer to S365.)

Data for .280 Remington should be good for the 7x65R if you stay at the lower range. I have a CZ 550 Lux in 7x64 that uses the same loads as my .280 Remington (brass NOT interchangeable!)

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks BNegal, that gives me at least a couple of reference points.

Do you think I should back off on the start loads of the 7X64 for the 7X65R, if so by how much?

I'll definitely try to source a Somchem manual.

Thanks again.

Posts: 11 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 05 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Steve

Use the start loads and work up from there.
I'd use a chronograph and compare with Somchem values.

Barry

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I do not have any experience with Sochem powders, sorry. IMO the S335 sounds about right if it can be used for the 7x64 Brenneke. That's what I did with the 7x65R and the reco'd loads for the 7x64. Turned out to be very similar in their preferences except the rimmed 7x65R ended up with about 2 grains less than the Brenneke using the same 154 gr. Hornady Round Nose in each cartridge.

I do load 7x65R cartridges for a friends Drilling. Since I only had a 7x64 Brenneke F/L Die Set we decided to start there and the Dies have worked fine; simply used the correct shellholder for the 7x65R.

Since I had already set up the 7x64 die Set to load for another friends rifle we found that I had to back off the F/L Die about a quarter turn to get the sized cases to chamber in his Drilling. Did some Quick Load calculations & checked the VV and some other manuals and we were off.

Both rifles are shooting the 154 gr. Hornady RN's with excellent accuracy.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, if you decide to use 7x64 data for your 7x65R, be aware that the max pressure for the 7x65R is rated about 10% lower than that of the 7x64 (3600 Bar vs 3300 bar - if memory serves, both CIP specs)!!!

This is particularly important for you, as you load for a break-top gun. If you get too carried away, you risk damaging your gun over time (even though you may not see any immediate problems).

It is hard to point you in the direction of data for the powders you have at hand.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys (Barry, Gerry and Mike),

I'll definitely keep what you have said in mind.

Really looking forward to reloading this cartridge, still (unfortunately) have a couple of months wait till the dies arrive, but at least it allows me to do some research.

Regards
Steve