Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

wrong primers
 Login/Join

posted
Loading .460 Weatherby Mag. and installed large pistol mag primers instead of large rifle mag. primers. 115 gr. of H4350 pushing 400gr barnes X bullets. My bullet puller will not accept .460 cartage for dissassembly. I realized my misstake after 5 rounds. can theese be shot safetly?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
You are asking a lot of a primer designed for about half the pressure. If it was mine I wouldn't shoot them. If you don't have a puller then get a set of side cutters. Removed the dies from the press run the bullet so it shows above the press and grab with the cutters pull the press handle back up. You will mark the bullet but for sure not enough to worry about in a 460.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Don`t shoot them.
The pistol primers are designed to be used in cartridges with pressures under ~40K psi. The Weatherby runs much higher, and almost certainly will pop them..

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I concur. Do not shoot them.

I don't load pistol rounds so I have no experience with that primer. But the first thought I had was whether that primer would ignite that much powder. The Federal 215 was designed in response to the Weatherby cartridges. I could envision a helluva hang fire......

If you don't have a collet bullet puller, they are well worth the money. Now'd be a good time to get one.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks, I like the cutter idea. I am more concerened about the brass than bullet. thanks a lot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pull them out and don't shoot any more. In extreme climatory conditions you could end up with a blown barrel, damaged hands and a disfigured face.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Vice grips will also work. Clamp them on the bullet and rest them against the top of the frame on your press and lower the ram. Worked on my 416 Rigby which wouldn't fit in my bullet puller.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2329 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another cheap bullet puller is a 1/2 inch keyless chuck from a drill. You can pick one up at the local hardware foe about $15 to $20 dollars. Use it the same way you would the side cutters or vice grips. It will pull most bullets without marking them.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader270:
Pull them out and don't shoot any more. In extreme climatory conditions you could end up with a blown barrel, damaged hands and a disfigured face.

I don't really agree that a barrel or someones hands (unless they got hit by the floorplate or something) could be injured here, the worst I see is a pierced primer which is bad enough with a freight train like this but I do not see how this could cause a blow up.

Anyway, as mentioned if you do not have a puller just remove the die from a press, run the cartridge up and grab the bullet with some cutters, pliers, vise grips, or a wood clamp and the press will pull it right off.

I like that idea of using a drill chuck, I'll have to keep that in mind as have a few of them laying around already.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote