New
Find
Notify
Tools

38-55WCF Need Load Data?
 Login/Join

<Mike Weber>
posted
I have two friends who are looking for load data for this cartridge. One of them is shooting a replica Ballard for target purposes. The other is shooting an old Marlin that he inherited. So the loads must be safe in older firearms. Any suggestions?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon's website list a couple of loads. Also the Lyman 47th edition has some.

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
You start with the bullet. After the expense of a fine Ballard a equal quality mold and sizing equipment is in order. However I admit that I do not do this but I use the Lyman 375248 plain base from linotype and size them on a Star sizer. Each bullet is weighed before sizing to groove diameter. So the bore should be slugged to determine this.

For a powder I use imr 4759 when smokeless is allowed in the match. I use only about 15.5 grs and put a tuft of kapox on top of the powder. The kapox is weighed also.

I also breech load some of the rifles.

These loads will shoot as well as any rifles. The record score at 200 yards was held by a 38-55 Ballard and Marlin (the real name of the cartridge) for about a hundred years.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote