New
Find
Notify
Tools

Military Ball Ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What year did they stop using corrosive primers? I have a chance to buy 30.06 in sealed cans of 5 rd stripper clips and 8 rd M1 clips.
Thanks, Kelly

Posts: 124 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Depends on the arsenal, but any USGI made from 1952 on is non corrosive. I would suspect that the ammo in 5 round stripper clips has a good chance of being corrosive.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The shells in the 5 rd stipper clips are marked FA 45. Don't know if this helps ID.
Thanks kelly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Franklin Arsenal, 1945 production= corrosive

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Frankfort Aresnal 1945 is definately corrosive. This ammo was packed primarily for use in the 1903/1903 A3's.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Does it hurt to use this ammo if cleaned correctly and what type of cleaning solvents would you use?
Kelly

one of us
posted Hide Post
After using corrosive primed ammo, you need to flush the barrel (and other parts exposed to the powder gases) with the top secret magic solvent (shhhhhh, don't tell anyone) "warm water", followed by a standard cleaning. It's not a bad ides to check your bore after a day or two, and clean again if needed.
The priming compound used contains salts, and the water desolves them, oil baised solvents don't.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So if I was to get a good deal on this ammo I should probably buy it?
Kelly

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep buy and shoot it. Or take it to agun show and sell it to a WWII buff at a higher price.

If you shoot it just remember to clean it.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hm1996:
Depends on the arsenal, but any USGI made from 1952 on is non corrosive. I would suspect that the ammo in 5 round stripper clips has a good chance of being corrosive.

Regards,
hm

And, I would use 1954 as the cutoff, just to be safe!! BTW, .30 U.S. Carbine ammo was ALWAYS noncorrosive!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the help.
Kelly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FA45 is corrosive and water cleans it right up. Any water-based cleaner will, too. black powder cleaner, foaming bore cleaner, MPro7, Hoppe's Elite, will all do it. follow up with regular cleaner and solvent and you are good to go.

what 8-rd ammo is it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Delloro, the 8 rd ammo is in Garand clips. I bought an unopened tin of 192 cartridges marked LC 51 for pretty cheap. According to Fulton Armory website the lot # and date show it was made after they switched to non corrosive primers.
Kelly