New
Find
Notify
Tools

neck turning
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need some advice from the experts. I have been checking 7 rm cases and some come up with some .004/.005 in. neck case runout.

I hjave neck turned them in a forster hand neck turning tool, and once I put them in the forster tool again, runout stays the same in spite of the fact that some brass has been eliminated.

<Kimmo E>
posted
Are yu talking about 0,1-0,12mm ? Seems good for me.
Why are you neckturning them, are you shooting competition?

Kimmo

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Is this after firing or running them through your sizer?

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
Do you size the necks before turning? Do you have a neck sizing die or full length?Try to measure the neck after sizing and then again after shooting the case. Try sizing without the expansion collet on your depriming rod or deprime with the rod a little loose. When you have a case that has some runout I always make one very lite cut first and it it needs more than I make a second cut that cuts down on the heat on the brass which can gaul the inside of the neck when making just one cut to size. Imperial sizing wax is a great lube on the cases both inside the neck and outside the case. Good Luck

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Try an experiment. When sizing the case run the case 1/2 way into the die, back off, rotate the case 90 to 180 degrees, finish sizing, back off a bit rotate case again pushing case into the die, slowly draw expander ball thru the neck.
There maybe be some slop in the die, shell holder, press that accumulate in the final read out in case accuracy.
Try it a couple if there's no effect you're out nothing.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you do not size the necks first and then expand them on a mandrel to achieve a thigt fit on the neck turning mandrel you will not get consistent results. If the case neck to mandrel fit is sloppy you are much better of not turning the necks at all.

I turn my 7RM necks because of a thigt chamber (and because I reform from .300 WM), but the cases I use (Winchester and Norma) do not have enough variance to warrant turning for accuracy.

Tron

Posts: 210 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info. I will try with the new ideas.

I resize in a neck sizer die before I ckeck runout.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A full length sizer will not produce RO, and will eliminate it, a neck sizer often will induce RO or make it worse if it exists. The only way to correct it is to FL size them. Sizing the neck without supporting and centering the body in the neck sizer is the problem that isn't associated with FL sizing.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
�lg--Runout is frequently a problem associated with using dies that have the standard type internal neck expanding ball or button. It does not seem to matter if they are full-length or neck-only. You can virtually eliminate this problem by using Redding dies with the neck sizing ring and tossing the included neck-sizing button and buying an assortment of rings to cover you needs size-wise.

If, on the outside chance, you are talking about neck thickness run-out, then neck turning is the answer. Either that or purchasing Norma or Lapua brass in the first place.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
New cases will have about that much run out even if you turn the necks. Once they have been fired in a good chamber they will be more true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Turning necks is not for runout, but for thickness variation.

To get rid of the runout, get rid of the expander ball [big improvement], and [small improvment] buy a sliding sleve Forster or Redding seating die, or a Wilson seating die.

If you have .007" of thickness variation, switch brands of brass.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Is that neck or bullet runout? If it's neck runout it's borderline too much. The trick is not to neck turn which will drive you nuts in the long run but to select brass with even wall thickness and then work it just enough to hold the bullet but not so much as to induce more variations.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Turning necks will have no effect on "run out". Necks are turned to give a uniform thickness. I would expect the run out to be the same before and after turning. That just means you have removed same amount of metal all the way around. which means your necks were pretty well uniform in thickness to start with. Run out if a die (sizing or seating) problem or even a crooked chamber. Yep..not all chambers are dead straight.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
is the sinclair hand tool set decent for outside neck turning?

Posts: 134 | Location: MO | Registered: 17 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
quote:
is the sinclair hand tool set decent for outside neck turning?
VERY! The only one which could be "better" is the K&M as it provides a simple, built-in means of adjustment for the depth of cut.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob338:
. . . The only one which could be "better" is the K&M as it provides a simple, built-in means of adjustment for the depth of cut.

My K & M tool has been very easy to set up and use. I get very good results with it, in spite of my clumsiness.
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I �ve been using remington and winchester brass. I will try with lapua/ norma.

Neck sizer die is a Forster; sitting die is rcbs competition.

The cmaber seems to be OK, I�ve checked fired rounds and neck RO is 0,001.

It is just some of the brass that does seem not to be straight.

I�ll try the scandinavians.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
VERY! The only one which could be "better" is the K&M as it provides a simple, built-in means of adjustment for the depth of cut
The only thing I'd add to that is, get the pilot jack Ken sells for it, makes for very easy controled cut adjustment into the shoulder. His expandiron die works perfect and is sized for his mandrels too. [Smile]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont have much dedicated equipment for case measurment, so I measured diameter of 2 loaded ammo examples.

Bullets dia about .3084"
Neck OD, max .3328, min .3322 --> one had .0004 and the other had .0005 spread between max and min for the 2 opposite case walls (.0120 wall thickness)

Fired case, neck OD .3400 --> .0075 expansion

Is this a candidate for requiring neck turning?

one of us
posted Hide Post

[ 10-23-2003, 21:45: Message edited by: bajabill ]