New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Swaging Equipment Questions
 Login/Join

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
My PH sent me a list of stuff...sometimes they use funny terms over there.

Would someone who is knowledgeable in this area email me there phone number so I could chat with them on the phone.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I suggest you find Corbin's web site, call and talk to him himself.

Dave is very kind and helpful, and I am sure he will answer any questions you might have.

Posts: 68614 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I went right through this with 416 bore size but had to put a hold on things due to some neck problems. It now is looking as if I might be OK, but if not I will have to drop down in calibre. My predicament in fact serves to illustrate the major difference between reloading and bullet making....with bullet making the dollars etc are in the dies.

Basically there is Dave Corbin and his brother Richard Corbin that do the bullet making gear for non benchrest.

My enquiries confirmed what my impressions were and that is that Dave Corbin is the man. His website is:

http://www.rceco.com/

Richard is very good to deal with by both email and telephone.

Basically, you can make anything you want except mono metal bullets. You can make partitions and also bonded core bullets.

It is similar to reloading in that you have a press and dies and some other odds and ends such as jacket trimmers, core cutters or core moulds etc. You have a die set up for each point style. So in 416 for example I wanted spitzer, round nose, 30/30 style flat nose and type of hollow point like 308 130 grain Speer. Actually, the type of hollow point you see in the Speer 308, Hornady hollow points etc is the basic die. My interest is to make quick expanding bullets in the big bore.

You can make any weight you like.

Jackets are purchased and can be drawn down. So you might buy the same jackets for 358, 375 and 416. You can also buy the dies that allow jackets to be made from copper tubing but all advice is to avoid this unless absolutely neccessary and/or you are quite experienced.

Once you get into you will soon see why so many of the custom bullet makers seem to start off with the big bores. The reason is that it does not cost much more to make 416s than it does 270s, but of course the 416s will sell for far more.

To do about all you want with one calibre (different point styles) will cost about $1700US. For one point style only it is about $800US. The press is only about $200US of these amounts.

From there you can move onto to electric powered hydraulic press and the gear to make your own jackets from strip metal. This will take you into the $3000US to $10,000US area.

Production is increased by the hydraulic press but mainly because an "hourly rate" can be maintained. That is, to make only 20 bullets the hydraulic press won't be much quicker.

If you want more information, then feel free to email me as I am only looking at the forums every week or so at the moment.

Mike

[ 04-28-2003, 08:52: Message edited by: Mike375 ]

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike375:
My enquiries confirmed what my impressions were and that is that Dave Corbin is the man. His website is:

http://www.rceco.com/

Richard is very good to deal with by both email and telephone.

Ok, i am confused. You say Dave is the man and them posted Richards web site, LOL! I am interested in your experience with both as i am pursuing this....

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for typo. Richard is the man and that opinion seems to be shared by those I spoke to who have equipment made by both.

I also found Richard's explanations as to what was needed and why it was needed was far clearer. It is my understanding that Richard was in fact the "hands on man" at Corbins. Richard was also recommended by one of the jacket makers and one reason for the recommendation was reliability and time for delivery.

As I mentioned in my previous post I had to put the amber light on due to some neck problems. This seems to be resolving itself and in the next week or so I will go "green" but it might be 375 rather than 416, will know by next week. I probably checked the the thing out more than most Americans because of being way down here in Australia.

There is a forum which I think is called something like Graybeards Outdoors that has/had a forum on bullet swaging and the contributors at the forum also gave 100% endorsement to Richard.

Having said all of that and as best I can tell, I think the quaility of the gear is the same but with Richard the cost is lower, supply is better and he does not suggest equipment/methods etc. that do not produce good results.

My suggestion to anyone would be to commence communication by email with both of them. After you have had a few emails back and forwards you will decide to phone either Richard or Dave. For me it was Richard.

Hope this helps a bit.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Mike!!

I will be contacting Richard with the same questions that i gave to Dave......

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Mike mentioned, there is a group of us "swagers" at www.graybeardoutdoors.com who exchange ideas and info on a semi-irregular [Wink] basis. Drop in and join in some time. One fellow who goes by "talon" is quite knowledgible.

If you want to contact me via e-mail, I'm at rteal@infonet.ca.

I'm making .35 calibre bullets using a tip design I've adapted and modified from an old Imperial design that was made from the early '40's to the early '70's.

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote