Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rcbs 505
 Login/Join

posted
my 505 may be dieing, ive had this scale since 85, its been coverd when not in use but its getting a little sticky just finished up some 38spl ,s and the thing would hang allmost evertime, you just touch the pan lightly and it centers just fine, i cross check the wieght and it was just fine, what is the best way to clean a scale, wife said break it down and tose it in the dish washer, dont think i want to do that i have to admit this thing has loaded a LOT and i mean a lot of rounds,

me

Posts: 9 | Location: smack dap in the flint hills | Registered: 24 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I clean mine with rubbing alcohol, Q-tips and a tooth brush than blow try the notches with canned compressed air, the same stuff you use to blow off computer equipment. Mine (the same age as yours) has gotten sticky before and the rubbing alcohol worked just fine.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i thasnk you, hate to say it but that old scale has passed a ton or two of powder i use it fore the 38,9. and 40s mostly but with 8 people in this family and all carry it gets a work ot
me

Posts: 9 | Location: smack dap in the flint hills | Registered: 24 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
It depends on the damage done by grime and dust in the fulcrum over the years but I think you can get your scale back to normal with a good cleaning. It sure as heck can’t hurt. Wink

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
If cleaning doesn`t help call RCBS. They will put it back in working order for minimal to no cost.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can lift off the beam and look at the knife edges with a magnifying glass or a microscope. If they have flats you can lightly sharpen the edge or send it back to RCBS. While you are at it check the approach to weight spring and see if it is rusty. That can make one behave really contrary.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the agate bearings are worn, they can be replaced. Usually cleaning is all that's necessary. Also, the copper damping vane can accumulate static charge, depending on the weather. Wiping with alcohol will remove the charge.