New
Find
Notify
Tools

The .30-06 and V V powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just read the thread about IMR powders in the -06. Interesting, since I just switched to VV.

I've been shooting handloads using IMR4831 with 150 grain Nosler BTs exclusively since they first came out in the early 80s in my old Remington 700 ADL -06. I didn't have a chrono when I originally worked up the load. Recently I fired a few rounds through the chrono at 2820.

While I've been perfectly satisfied with the Ballistic Tips in my .25-06, I thought they were to frangible in the .30-06 - and a little slow.

Some time back I asked here which powder to use for maximum velocity with 150 bullets and several people recommended VV N150.

Yesterday I worked up a load and Holy Cow!

I can't tell how far off the lands the bullet is since there is no rifling for about the first three inches.

I did nothing special with case prep. No weight sorting or anything. Just once fired brass full length sized, chamfered and reamed. I did weigh the powder to 1/10th grain.

Cases; Remington.

Bullets; Nosler 150 grain Accubond.

Primers; CCI 200

Powder; 61.5 grains VV N150 (MAX)

OAL; 3.400

Velocity; 3,150 fps

ES; 8 fps

SD; 4.6

Ten shots into less than 1/2".

I also tried 1/2 grain over max and got 3,190 fps with an ES of 3 and SD of 2 with no signs of excess pressure. However, the group opened up to about 2 inches.

I'm going to shoot those ABs into wet and dry phone books in the next few days. Will report.

Man, I'm stoked!

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You must have a heck of a lot of freebore. The Viht, Lapua & Nosler manuals all show a max load of 55-56 gr. of N-150 with a 150 gr. weight bullet. Viht & Lapua show a velocity from a 24" barrel of 2800-2850 fps. Nosler is higher at 3038 fps and 24" barrel.

Posts: 212 | Location: Longmont, CO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the throat was shot out of that rifle a long time ago but if it groups like that, who cares?!?

I have some 150g NBT's that I'm going to work up a load for. I wanted a more frangible bullet for thise relatively small PA white tails. I'll see if any of the local stores have any VV N150 and give it a try.

Fitch

Posts: 153 | Location: Carlisle, PA | Registered: 04 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Stick:
You must have a heck of a lot of freebore. The Viht, Lapua & Nosler manuals all show a max load of 55-56 gr. of N-150 with a 150 gr. weight bullet. Viht & Lapua show a velocity from a 24" barrel of 2800-2850 fps. Nosler is higher at 3038 fps and 24" barrel.

I got the load data from the VV website and it shows 61.5 grains as max with a 150.

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fitch:
Sounds like the throat was shot out of that rifle a long time ago but if it groups like that, who cares?!?

I have some 150g NBT's that I'm going to work up a load for. I wanted a more frangible bullet for thise relatively small PA white tails. I'll see if any of the local stores have any VV N150 and give it a try.

Fitch

Yeah, the throat is shot out. I first used a borescope to inspect it in 1989 and there was no rifling for about 2 inches, last year it goes out about 3 inches. I've had it since 1968 and it has had many thousands of rounds down the tube.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got the load data from the VV website and it shows 61.5 grains as max with a 150.

I just checked the VV website and the data it lists is dated 2006 and doesn't show 61.5 gr. of N-150 as max for 30-06 and 150 gr. bullet.

Max load with a 150 gr. is listed at 56.3 gr. Thought you might have gotten the load from the website sometime back but you mentioned that you just recently switched to VV powders. Not sure where on VV's website you found the 61.5 gr. load but it wasn't in 30-06 for a 150 gr. bullet.

But regardless, if the load you are shooting isn't showing pressure signs, then have at it. Sounds like you have a Weatherby extreme.

Posts: 212 | Location: Longmont, CO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VV powder is simply awesome.

A slightly off topic hint is to use VV N340 with midweight and heavy bullets in 9 mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. Accurate, reasonable recoil, and moderate flash.

For the 30-06, Use N-150 for 150 & 165 rain bullets, N-160 for 180 grain bullets and 200 grain bullets. For those big 220 grain bullets use N-165 powder. If space and bulk become problems drop down tho the double based VV N-550 and on up.

Congratulations on having true love so quickly.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Stick:
quote:

I just checked the VV website and the data it lists is dated 2006 and doesn't show 61.5 gr. of N-150 as max for 30-06 and 150 gr. bullet.

Max load with a 150 gr. is listed at 56.3 gr. Thought you might have gotten the load from the website sometime back but you mentioned that you just recently switched to VV powders. Not sure where on VV's website you found the 61.5 gr. load but it wasn't in 30-06 for a 150 gr. bullet.

But regardless, if the load you are shooting isn't showing pressure signs, then have at it. Sounds like you have a Weatherby extreme.

Hmmm, I downloaded load data from several powder manufacturers websites less than two years ago right after I finally got high speed internet.

I checked the folder again and I had downloaded VVs 2004 data.

You're right, the new manual is greatly reduced - maybe because it was dangerously hot?

That is a HUGE decrease.

Anyone trying to duplicate this load, please proceed with extreme caution.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
61.5gr is nuts - massively over.

I too shoot a very worn 30-06 and have found VVN150 the only powder to give accuracy with 150gr bullets. I felt the max was 54gr but due to the freebore etc went to 55gr with no pressure signs.

Some VV data is a bit odd. The 243 87gr bthp data for N160 is also way over (but not as much)