New
Find
Notify
Tools

130 AccuBond 6.5X57 loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got a box and am wondering if anyone has a favorite powder. Not a whole lot of info for the 6.5X57 but know a few beside myself have one. Have had good luck with Varget, 39g 120 Barnes 120 TSX under 1/2" at 100. The AccuBonds are pricey as well trying not to waste sighters. Have a good selection of powders in this burn range.

Thanks,
Ron

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
H4350, Re-19 and even Re-22 will work very well for you in this cartridge. You can generally use starting to mid-range Swede loads and work up from there.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9355 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add: Nosler does have 2nds available and on sale now through the Shooter's Pro Shop. I ordered some a couple of weeks ago and got the 6.5 130 ABs for something like 11.70 per 50. Go to nosler.com and then, under resources, click on shooters pro shop.

There is nothing wrong with these bullets other than perhaps some miniscule scratch that didn't polish out or something else cosmetic. They'll perform just like the "firsts."

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9355 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had excellent results with 120s and VVN560. Also excellent results with 140s and RL22. Started to work on 125gr partitions and RL22 but didn't finish.

You could try VVN560 or RL22 and magnum primers. Varget would traditionaly be considered rather fast for this application.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I see no reason why you could not use 129 grain Hornady starting load data for starting loads. (I note the 6.5mm 130 Accubond is on sale right now on Nosler Seconds, http://www.shootersproshop.com ). You could gaet some of these to use in load development. I've tried the Nosler seconds, and in most calibers saw no difference at all.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
shooting a 6.5 x 57 ( not the rimmed version), also several 6.5 x 55s and several 260s....

Load data for the 6.5 x 55 is easily interchangable with the 6.5 x 57...

if yours is on a strong action, then 260 load data is interchangable.. don't start at the max, but you can start pretty close and work up...

I neck down 7/08 and 308 brass for the 260, and neck up 257 Roberts +P Winchester brass for my 6.5 x 57... using H 380 powder as an example, the necked up 257 R Brass only holds ONE grain more of H 380 than does the necked down 7/08 and 308 Win or Rem Brass....same with the 6.5 x 55 when using Rem or Win brass...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will use the 6.5X55 data as a starting point. Haven't had the range time to really sort this one out yet. It is a strong action, Steyr ProHunter. Checked the seconds website and "sorry out of stock" these must go quick.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to check the Nosler website a couple of times a week to catch their bargains. The seconds have been discovered, and although you read the Nosler disclaimer about no resales, I have seen people advertising Nosler seconds for sale.

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vihtavuhori had many loads for both the rimmed as well as the rimless version in their manual, at least in the European edition.

For the rimmed version N140 worked very well for me.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Sauer in 6.5x57 prefers the slower burning powders. In my rifle the max loads for a 130 grains bullet are 47 grains of Viht N160 and 46 grains of H 4350.

I'm also developing a load for the 120 TSX (the 130 TSX didn't perform too well) and I'm curious about your experiences. What is the COL of your TYSX loads and what's the velocity?

Posts: 98 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I said, have not really had the range time to sort this one out yet, The COL is 3.090 for the 120 TSX this puts the bullet about .040 off the lands. The Steyr has a rather long throat. Have yet to run over a chrono so am not positive on the velocity. I did use this load to take a nice 11p oint whitetail this year, one shot at about 75 yards.