New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading for Browning BAR MkII?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi everyone,

I'm getting into reloading for the first time and have decided to go with a Forster Co-ax press. One of the guns I will be reloading for is my Dad's Browning BAR Mk II 30.06. Doing a search on this forum I found that powder selection is very important and that Varget seems to fit the bill very well, but the real question I need answered is, has anyone used the Stoney Point OAL gague for autos (the curved model)for the best bullet seating depth? Is it even possible/recommended to change the OAL of the cartridge from the factory specs to something that will bring the bullet closer to the lands the way it would be say for a bolt action rifle?

Posts: 21 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the press, it's a dandy. Forster makes some of the best equipment out there.

As for powder choices, I didn't think the gas system on the BAR was sensitive. It is afterall, designed to shoot factory ammo from any reputable source.

I can't help you with the Stoney Point, don't use one. I would feel free to change the COL however, your length is limited by the magazine.

Good luck & good shootin'

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
<'Trapper'>
posted
Congratulations on getting into reloading but a warning: It is highly addictive! Now when reloading for the BAR, BLR, Remington 740-742-7400, etc I find I can eleminate many of my problems by using small base dies which return the brass to 'new' case dimensions. Maybe this is important with all auto loaders but I had some experience with a 30-06 in a BAR that would not feed/function with reloads - I used a set of RCBS small base dies and no more problems.
Again, good luck and I hope some of this helps.
[Wink]
Best regards,

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any need for small base dies in my BAR .270, but guns and experiences vary, so you MIGHT have to get a set if you have problems with regular FL dies.

The BAR doesn't like high port pressures that slower-burning powders generate. I would keep my powders in the IMR-4320 range or faster. IMR-4350 may be okay with a 180 grain bullet, but the faster powders will more closely replicate the pressure curves of factory loads and your gun will be happier with them.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies so far, but no Stoney point OAL users!?

packrat-RE: Forster, I hope it's as good as everyone raves about, I've never been a "monkey see monkey do" type person with reagrds to buying something just because it's the most advertised(i.e. RCBS).

Trapper-Addiction is hardly the word, I'm already thinking about which guns to add to my collection now that I'll be shootin' moreSmilerRE: the small base dies, I have heard that as well but I have looked at the Forster website and can find no mention of any small base dies just the full length sizer dies (same thing?), I really don't want to use another brand if I can avoid it.

Stonecreek-RE: powders, my cousin who has reloaded forever indicated that the Varget powder will perform very well as it's pressures are just what the auto needs, and is also very clean burning powder. Have you used the Stoney Point gauge or any other technique for getting the bullet closer to the lands on the BAR?

one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
I have reloaded for my Browning BAR and Remington 742 for over 30 years. In my 30-06, I use RCBS Small Base Dies, which were made for the 30-06 Browning Auto. Another Key is use a med burning powder due tho the port pressure. I use RL 15 and VARGET.
My favorite is:

VARGET @ 48.0
CCI BR 2 Primers
FED Prem Cases
180 Nosler Part.

I also use the Lee Factory Crimp Die, which provides a excellent crimp.

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Alaska Bush Man-Is RCBS the ONLY Co that makes the small base dies?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own 2 Bar's one in 30-06 and the other in 338 WM. I use small base RCBS dies for the 338 and standard 338WM I believe Lee dies. I have used several different powders with various bullets in both calibers and have never had any problems with either caliber, they have always functioned flawlessly. Since both guns are box magazines your limited to the OAL

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
No, on the dies, but RCBS for the money I think are the best Small Base Dies. When these first came out they said for "Browning Auto Rife" on the case.

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a BAR in .338 WM. It has gone home with my middle son. Used a Rock Chucker and RCBS small base dies for it. Mechanically worked fine.

Also have a 7400 in 308 as my field rifle for eastern hunting, and a number of military rifles in 308 as well (SIG AMT, M1A, and an M-60 GPMG) ... never needed small based dies for those.

Powder selection for gas operated rifles is important ... gas pulse must be wide enough to provide good impulse to the operating rod. Mid burn rate powders seem best in 308. Didn't seem to matter much in 338 --- but bullet weight mattered a lot . For 308, BLC (2) and others in that burn rate range were better than 4350.

Good luck with the project ... and have fun.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Yank, I wouldn't worry that much about getting that close to the rifling, either the bullet will shoot or not, I've got my '06' model 70 loaded up with 150gr Ballistic tips, 50.5grs. of Varget, .050" off the lands, the thing shoots in the 1/2moa range if I do my part, but, that doesn't mean you have to seat the bullets to saami specs, though they'll still probably shoot good, but seat the bullets so you'll have about 1/16" clearance from the front of the magazine when you put them in the clip. And don't worry about crimping the bullets, they won't go anywhere. Autos don't kick like a 44mag revolver would with a heavy load, What type of game will your dad be going after? Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the replies, as far as bullet seating depth we are limited by the magazine of course and after measuring a factory round he used last year there's about .176 of room left to the edge of the magazine,so a follow up question would be does the potential exist for the bullet to be too long once chambered if it is extended to the outer limits of the mag or is there still plenty of clearance to the lands(I don't have the S.P. OAL gauge yet)?

I am starting out with Varget powder and after talking to Ty at Barnes (yes-I'm loading up some 168gr Triple Shocks, no flames from you Barnes haters please [Smile] ), he said Varget should be a very good powder for this application, but IF the action is cycled with too much force to try the BLC-2 powder(which concurs with mstarling's recommendations)

Jay-I will try your recommendations on the 1/16" gap in the mag, I still would like to know the answer to my question earlier in this post though, and he will be using it for Michigan whitetail and for mule deer on a hunt he has later this fall.

[ 08-02-2003, 23:03: Message edited by: DamnYankee ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
BAR's don't need anything special, I like H-414 with a 165gr.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<JLB_MI>
posted
My BAR with BOSS likes IMR 4064 with 150 grain bullets. Very accurate with these loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DamnYankee:
[QB]so a follow up question would be does the potential exist for the bullet to be too long once chambered if it is extended to the outer limits of the mag or is there still plenty of clearance to the landsQB]

I don't have a Stoney Point gauge, but I've been reloading for 38 years and can't imagine the utility of one. Simply make up a "dummy" round with the bullet seated to the limits of the magazine. Rack it into the chamber, remove it, and see if there are any engravings on it from the rifling lands. If not, then you're fine at that length. If there are, seat the bullet gradually deeper until the engravings disappear (use of a candle-smoked bullet or one darkened with Marksalot or some such agent will make seeing any contact with the lands easier.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
JLB_MI,
What grains of the 4064 did you end up with on your final load and what was the velocity with the 150gr bullet? I was under the impression that 4064; while appropriate for the auto as far as burn rate was a very dirty burning powder hence the recommendation to go with something much cleaner like Varget.

Stonecreek,
Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try.