New
Find
Notify
Tools

150gr Round Nose in 270win
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Going to try 150 gr round nose in 270win. Bin a bit since I loaded 270. I was using 57grs of H4831 with spire point, but I think I will back off a little with the round nose. What kind of luck has everyone had with round nose in 270win?

I miss hunting in B.C.

Posts: 84 | Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
I shot some thru my 270 when I first got it. Found out very quickly that my rifle didnt like 150s at all. I went to 130s and never looked back.

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sirwilliam,
My son killed his first deer w/ a reduced load (about 2400 fps) in my 270 Win using IMR 4320 and the Hornady 150 gr RN bullet. Big Grin The bullet entered the small wt deer (angling toward us) just behind the near shoulder, took out both lungs, and exited though the liver. The deer ran about 75 yards, leaving the BIGGEST blood trail I've ever personally seen. EekerI would not hesitate to use it again given the right circumstances. clap Gary T.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I tried them in mine and they didn't want to feed.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hornady round nose are the ones I will try. I have a lot of good luck with them in a lot of other calibers. Most of the shots here on deer in this province are under a 100 yards, plus I'm getting them cheap. Just waiting for my dies to come in so I can get started.

I miss hunting in B.C.

Posts: 84 | Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sirwilliam:
The Hornady round nose are the ones I will try. I have a lot of good luck with them in a lot of other calibers. Most of the shots here on deer in this province are under a 100 yards, plus I'm getting them cheap. Just waiting for my dies to come in so I can get started.

7mm 284 rn bullets work great in 7mm mauser also.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded the 154gr hornady round nose in 7mm-08 for a friend and he had good luck. They should work great in 7mm mauser.

I miss hunting in B.C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've only used factory ammo in the 270 Encore barrel I have. Whether roundnose bullets are right for you depends on your rifle, maybe a lot. My M700 30'06 gags on roundnose bullets; they snag on the 90 degree corner of the chamber. My coned breech, controlled feed, 1903 Springfield has no such problem. But if it feeds, a mild load under a roundnose soft ought to be just the ticket for practice and deer at modest ranges.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 150 gr RN Remington factory load was pretty popular in PA growing up. I still see this load stocked pretty heavily in PA and TX, so somebody likes them. I used it to take my first deer, but all the magazines said spitzers were the way to go so that's the way I went. Have a box of Sierra 150 RN Prohunters that I may try this year.

-Lou

-Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote