New
Find
Notify
Tools

SKS accuracy?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone worked up a load for an SKS? Can you get them to shoot?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can expect 3-4" groups at 100 yards. That's the design spec for that rifle. If you're getting better than that, I'm one of the people that wants to know how it's done.

25 grains of 1680 gives 2300 fps with a 123 grain pill... about 150 fps less than commercial loads.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Stonecreek said, don't use regular commercial primers or you are likely to get slam-fires.

With issue sights I've only been able to get 4-6" groups at 100 yds. I did put a red-dot on it, using a weaver-rail mount which I drilled and tapped the side of the receiver for. Haven't yet tried it at 100 yds., but at about 50 yds or so in the gravel pit it has been quite respectable, kicking around golf-ball size items with regularlity. In short, a better sighting apparatus helps quite a bit.

Avoid the mounts/scopes that go on the receiver cover...pretty worthless in my experience.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
My son-in-law shot a 3/4 inch group at 50 yards with my unmodified Romanian SKS. Much better than I can do with the original sights and my old eyes.

I'm in the process of working up some loads and y'all made me wonder about the primers. I guess I can load 2 and see what happens. I'm using WW large rifle primers. And the Hornady 123 gr soft points which are .310.

Just waiting for a #32 shell holder so I can prime using my RCBS hand primer.

What do y'all think about this red dot setup.

Millet SKS sight replacement

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have put Choate cast steel Weaver rails on a couple SKSs.

Their stock is a little flexable.

I like the wood stocks with glass bedding per the instructions on line.

http://www.sixgunner.com/backissues/guests/Wosika%20-Accurizing%20the%20SKS.htm

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote