Find
Notify
Tools

OAL troubles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted
Recently made my second batch of .22-250s and after seating the bullets i check oal to find that 2 were at 2.345 instead of my target 2.350 all cases were trimmed to uniform length, what can be the problem, and is there really any performance difference.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
probably only a temperature diffrence.
.005" = to + - .0025"
Check the length of the bullets?
How do you measure? There may be a little dirt on the seater?
Only will mater if your shooting competition.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brother
I dont think you have a problem at all.
Take your calipers and open them up to .005. there aint much light shineing tween the ends is there ?
I am mathmaticly challanged ,(spelling too)
But I think thats 5 1000ths of an inch.
I have never measured factory ammo But are they closer in tollerence than that ?
If you are using a lead tipped bullet just bouncing around in the box can put a little almost miroscopic dent in your bullet nose and be 5 1000ths shorter than one that didnt get bumped.
I am sure they will shoot fine. How much varience do you usually see. If its much better than that I would like to know how you do it cause i am doing somthing wrong.
but then my loads shoot good so i don't think i will fix it cause it aint broke.
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
The seater contacts the ogive to seat the bullet not the tip. The OAL from case base to bullet ogive is likely right on.
Try this is you want to drive yourself nuts, measure a new box of bullets and see if you can come up with 50 of the same lenght to use next time you load...You`ll likely find multiple lenghts in one box, say 0.005" variation, or maybe more Eeker

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How are you measuring, from the tip or the ogive? If your measuring from the tip this will be a common occurance. Buy a comparator and start measuring from the ogive, it'll give you MUCH more consistent results.

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote