New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slow Powders?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are the dangers if any of using a powder that is too slow for cartridge? For example, using Varget in a 7.62x39 with 150gr bullet.

I read on another forum where a guy used Hodgdon data for 4895 and substituted Varget in his 7.62x39. Besides velocity issues what kind of problems can he encounter?

Thanks

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve4102:
What are the dangers if any of using a powder that is too slow for cartridge? For example, using Varget in a 7.62x39 with 150gr bullet.

I read on another forum where a guy used Hodgdon data for 4895 and substituted Varget in his 7.62x39. Besides velocity issues what kind of problems can he encounter?

Thanks

Probably depends on the substitution, but low pressures, poor performance, sooty cases etc.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
No dangers when a case full won't develop dangerously high pressures. The only danger in loading slow burning powders comes when a vastly reduced charge is used. This isn't hard and fast but, rifles have been known to blow up when doing this. P. O. Ackley in his book, "Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders" goes into great detail on this phenomena.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a reasonably full case, you'll just get low velocities and pressures and perhaps sooty cases and bore from using a powder that is slower than optimum for case/bore/bullet. If the powder gets unusually slow, you might get a "blooper" load.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote