New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet seating depth question...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After buying the Stony-Point bullet seating depth tool, imagine my disappointment to find that bullets can not be seated anywhere near the rifling. This on both a Winchester 70 and a Remington 700. Not even the 140gr 6.5mm. So what do you experienced reloaders suggest on a rule of thumb to seat bullets in this situation? I decided to seat the bullet one "caliber" deep in the case, or about .26" into the case, but wonder if there is an accepted practice out there? Thanks, Mike.

Posts: 140 | Location: Irmo, SC | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seat it as long as it'll go and fit comfortably in the magazine. Use a Lee Factory Crimp Die. That increases the bullet starting pressure to a level comparable to that of starting the bullet in the rifling with it seated against the lands (according to Lee.) Anyway, it improves the uniformity of ignition and makes the ogive-land distance less critical.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem with a brand new Tikka T3 Lite 300 WSM I plan to have the barrel removed and have another thread cut on the barrel so I can get up to the lands.

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The VLD bullets such as Sciroccos and Barnes Xs Triple Shocks,XLCs are the only ones I can get close to the lands in my 270WSM. Kissing them with Xs and about 20 off with the Swifts.

Posts: 236 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted Hide Post
Mike, one quick answer... get a Ruger #1 and you have all the bullet seating you want. This however can be good and bad. I constantly find myself trying different seating depts looking for "the load", and this can be quite trying at times. My Rem M700 VS can only be seating to the standard overall length to fit the magazine. I look at this as one less variable to worry about.....I just keep telling myself, reloading is my hobby......

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While my preference is for a chamber that allows seating to the rifling, it is by no means a rule that a gun with a long throat won't shoot. Just look at what Weatherby's can do and they have a loooong throat, they're designed that way.
My model 70 7mm-08 has a short throat, but Remingtons are known to be moderately long. Most manufacturers do it to keep pressures in check, but I feel it's unnecessary.
I have an old tang safety Ruger 77 with a sort of long throat. I don't try to seat bullets out to the rifling with it and the groups look something like this
 -
So, I wouldn't worry myself too much, especially if you can get the gun to shoot well.
Good luck

[ 10-21-2003, 14:42: Message edited by: Bobby ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the feedback from all. While my M70 shoots just fine with bullets seated far, far away, I was originally looking for help with a Rem700 in .308 that typically groups 2-3" with factory and reloads. While I am sure that the barrel would benefit from a job-description change (to re-bar) I was looking for something to change in the ammo dept. that might get me better accuracy. Thanks, Mike.

Posts: 140 | Location: Irmo, SC | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Mike, I'm shooting 150SBT bullets in my 700 308, using 44.5grs. H4895, getting 1.25" for 3 shots at 100yds. Now, this bullet is just hanging on by about maybe .080", mainly cause of the boattail not touching the case, you should have no problem getting 2-3" with handloads, I'd stay away from 150grCore-Lokts, they're terrible in my rifle, 168MKs seated to 2.800" gave my buddy a great group using 42GRS. RE15, that was in his 700PS, my 7mm-08 with 150MKs are .010" off the lands, and that bullet is seated to 2.800", that works out perfect, plenty of bullet in the case, and close to the lands, you might want to have a couple of threads taken off your barrel and rechambered to make for a shorter throat, just remembered something, used to shoot a 165gr. Hornady spire point, that was a really good bullet and would give very good accuracy in my rifle, I'd try that or a 150Hornady SP with a load of RE15, check with Alliant or Hornady for load data, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on Jay's statement. I am using 125gr BT's in a 30-06 M77 where I maybe have only .100" of neck grip on the bullet,..but it is at the lands. Even with that little grip,..I have been getting <.5" at 100yds with N140 and CCI standard primers.

Just set it as far out as possible and work a load,..I'll bet you get 1" or better once you hit a sweet spot. Also,...could erosion be the cause of your non-contact with the lands? If so a reamer and a setback is a quick fix.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote